Tuesday 4 November 2014

Quinoa Porridge

This week has seen the start of my detox with an aim to loose a bit of weight. You can read why in my Time To Loose Weight post. The detox has meant that I have had to cut out a lot of my usual foods.

Yesterday I had a breakfast of fruit but today I felt that I needed something a bit more filling to start the day. I looked at what carbs I could have and thought that quinoa would make a great porridge style breakfast.

Quinoa is a "super food" which has got a high protein content. It also contains great levels of iron, fibre, magnesium, phosphorus and is also a source of calcium!

My quinoa porridge was so deliciously healthy I will be making this from now on as my breakfast.

This is what I did...


Quinoa Porridge

Ingredients

3tbsp quinoa grain
15tbsp water
90mls milk substitute to taste, I used coconut milk
Fruit to taste

Method

1 - Place the quinoa grain in a sift and rinse with cold water

2 - Place the water in a pan to boil

3 - When the water has reached boiling point add the quinoa grains, cover and simmer for 20 minutes

4 - After 20 minutes remove from the heat and leave for 10 minutes

5 - Break up the grains with a fork and place in a bowl

6 - Pour over the milk, this can either be warm or cold milk

7 - Add your chosen fruit, I used blackberries, and serve


This is a delicious breakfast which is both filling and good for you. You will find that this breakfast is all made using "allowed" foods if you are following the Juice Plus diet. If you are following Slimming World the quinoa is a "free food" and the milk substitute can be counted as you healthy extra.

Enjoy x

I am sharing this recipe with:

Honest Mum - Tasty Tuesdays
A Mummy Too - Recipe of the Week

Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com
Link up your recipe of the week

16 comments:

  1. I haven't "done" quinoa for a while. I'll have to give this a try... sounds tasty!

    Wishing you a lovely week.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :-) it is really tasty as a sweet porridge x

      Delete
  2. I have never made quinoa porridge although I love quinoa. I can't get over thinking of it with my curry!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had not try quinoa before! I should try them out soon! #tastytuesday

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love quinoa in salads, but have never had it as porridge. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently turned veggie and quinoa is definitely one of the foods I started to eat. Haven't tried porridge yet!
    #tastytuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great way to have a porridge style breakfast with out the gluten or wheat x

      Delete
  6. So inspiring, eaten it as a side dish but not as porridge but will now! I put on weight over the summer-9 lbs of it so have been trying my best to lose it-have lost some but more to go! Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seen loads about quinoa recently, going to have to try it I think #tastytuesdays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is only recently that I have had it and it is lovely x

      Delete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x