Wednesday 5 November 2014

Chicken and Sweet Potato Pie - Family Favourites

This week  processed foods and dairy are a no go so I have needed to think of other ways of creating delicious meals that the whole family will enjoy. I am determined for us all to eat as normally as possible as I am aware of how the children will not like me eating a completely different meal to them.

This week I have made a Chicken and Sweet Potato pie.  As I am not having any dairy at the moment I had to rethink how I would prepare a sauce for the meal. I decided to make a vegetable puree which worked really well. I use my soup maker as it is quick to prepare but if you do not have a soup maker you can make it in a pan and then blend.

Here is this weeks Family Favourites meal...


Chicken and Sweet Potato Pie

Ingredients

For the puree:

1 celeriac, chopped
1 leek, sliced
1 red onion, chopped
Water to cover vegetables

For the pie:

2 chicken breasts, diced
1 red onion, chopped
1 leek, sliced
2 med carrots, quartered and slices
1 lg parsnip,quartered and sliced
5 med sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
Black pepper

Method

1 - To prepare the puree either place the vegetables in a soup maker, cover with water and set to a smooth setting or place the vegetables in a pan, cover with water and put to boil, When the water has reached boiling point reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the vegetable are soft. To puree the vegetables wait until they have cooled down a little and blend.

2 - Place the carrots and parsnips in a pan of boiling water and simmer until tender.

3 - Place the sweet potatoes in a pan of boiling water and simmer until softened.

4 -  Heat a teaspoon of olive oil in a large saute pan and gently fry the onions and leek until they are beginning to soften.

5 - Add the diced chicken and cook until browned off.

6 - Add the carrots, parsnips and vegetable puree to the pan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.

7 - Mash the sweet potatoes.

8 - Spoon the chicken and vegetables into a large serving dish and cover with the mashed sweet potatoes.


This meal is a delicious alternative to a cottage pie and one that was enjoyed by everyone. No only was it tasty but it is jam packed with fresh vegetables.


Enjoy x


3 comments:

  1. The only times I ever cooked sweet potatoes has been when weaning the little ones, yet they are really tasty. You have inspired me to use them again! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm! You're only getting me more excited about my dinner tonight because I am having loosely just this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks very delicious, the children will definitely like it .
    http://www.exportsell.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x