Wednesday 4 June 2014

Cheap Budget Meal - Mediterranean Vegetable Gnocchi Bake

Our favourite vegetable combination has to be Mediterranean vegetables. I love the sweetness that they bring to a dish.

It is great to have a quick meal which isn't always pasta. I am going to show you how easy and cheap it is to substitute pasta with gnocchi. Gnocchi is an Italian dumpling that goes well with any pasta sauce.

This week I am sharing my Mediterranean Vegetable Gnocchi Bake.

Here is this weeks Cheap, Budget Meal recipe...


Mediterranean Vegetable Gnocchi Bake

Ingredients

1 courgette, quartered and sliced (40p)
1 onion, chopped (16p)
6 med mushrooms, sliced (50p)
1 yellow pepper (60p)
6 tomatoes, chopped (69p)
Fresh basil
500g gnocchi (99p)
50g mature cheddar, grated (90p)
Olive oil

Method

1 - Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and gently fry the onions and courgette until starting to soften

2 - Add the mushrooms, peppers, tomatoes and and a handful of chopped fresh basil

3 - Cook on a medium heat for 10 minutes


4 - While the vegetables are cooking boil a pan of water for the gnocchi

5 - Place the gnocchi in the boiling water and simmer for 3 - 5 minutes (check the packet for cooking time)

6 - Once the gnocchi is heated through place in an oven proof dish

7 - Spoon the cooked vegetables on the top of the gnocchi, sprinkle over the grated cheese and place under a medium grill until the cheese has melted

This meal served 5 however if you want it to go further you can serve it with some garlic bread.

I made this meal for only £4.24, that is just 85p per serving!

Enjoy x





22 comments:

  1. Looks so yummy ad usual. I am very hungry and this is not helping :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boys love gnocchi, I must try to make some myself. Never tried it with Med Veg, but will add to the next menu plan

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious! Will definitely add it to our family menu. Thanks for sharing! Love easy meals!

    @2littlefaces

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just bought a Magimix food processor and am LOVING the new freedom it gives me. I've made my own gnocchi (free from) with it too :) This recipe looks great, might try it now I have the gnocchi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, this looks lovely - I love gnocchi and as a vegetarian this meal is right up my street.

    ReplyDelete
  6. until recently i didnt know what gnocchi was, it reminds me of something similar in russian cuisine

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love med vegetables as well - a staple set of ingredients around these parts in the summer months! This looks delish! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. something i havent tried before is gnocchi , i should really try it

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds and looks delicious but anything that smells or looks like a vegetable in this house is instantly dismissed lol!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love gnocchi but I never think of cooking it, this looks like a delicious way to put that right!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks great. I love gnocchi but struggle finding different ways to have it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm afraid I can't stand gnocchi but I would love this with some pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks like a delicious meal for the Summer and gnocchi is really filling so it goes a long way with my hungry boys.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh this looks yummy! I must ask mummy to try it x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh we do this but with pasta instead and it's become a staple for us. You've inspired me to try it with gnocchi instead!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love gnocchi, it's so easy and quick. I usually just stir in some pesto but your recipe sounds much nicer x

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks delicious - I make shepherds pie with gnocchi to be a little bit different

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never tried gnocchi before. I'll have to remember to have a look for it when I next do the grocery shop :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks very yummy - must try this recipe during the week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great alternative to pasta. I've never tried gnocchi before so I'll have to give this a go.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for sharing! This recipe looks scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks delicious! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x