Friday 20 June 2014

Mini Lemon and Lime Cream Sandwich

When I was at the Good Food Show last week I came home with a fantastic cake tin which I have had my eye on for a while! As I knew I had some birthday spending money it was on my list to buy. It is perfect for baking mini individual cakes.

It was my mums birthday on the Saturday, instead of making a large birthday cake I had to use my tin and made mini cream sandwich cakes!

Citrus cakes are a favourite in our house. I had both lemons and limes so I have combined both citrus flavours to create these lovely, light, cakes.


This is what I did...

Mini Lemon and Lime Cream Sandwich

Ingredients

150g baking spread
150g caster sugar
3 eggs, at room temperature
150g self raising flour
2 small lemons, zest and juice
2 limes, zest and juice
200mls double cream
2tbsp icing sugar

Method

Pre heat the oven to 180C

1 - Mix together the baking spread and caster sugar until light and creamy.

2 - Gradually add the eggs along with a little flour to prevent curdling.

3 - Sift in the flour and mix until all of the ingredients are evenly combined.

4 - Weigh the ingredients and divide evenly into two bowls.

5 - In one bowl mix in the zest and juice of two lemons.

6 - In the other bowl mix in the zest of the two limes and three quarters of the lime juice, keeping the remaining for later.

7 - Grease the cake tin and spoon in the mixture, to remember which cakes were which I placed one mixture in the central cake moulds and the other in the outer moulds.

8 - Place in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for 20 minutes.

9 - Once the cakes are thoroughly baked remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes in the tin before removing and leaving to cool completely on a cooling rack.

10 - Once cooled, whip the double cream with the icing sugar until thick.

11 - Mix in the remaining lime juice and spoon into a piping bag.

12 - Cut the cakes in half, keeping the two flavours separate.

13 - Take a base of one flavour and pipe on the lime cream and sandwich together with a top half of the other flavour. Continue until you have 12 mini cakes.

14 - To finish off sprinkle icing sugar over the top and serve.


These miniature sandwich cakes are a delicious treat which combines lemon and lime perfectly. A half of lemon, a half of lime, sandwiched together with a tangy lime cream!

A perfect, bite size treat that will leave you wanting more!

Enjoy x


I am sharing this recipe with the lovely Helen at Casa Costello - Bake of the Week

Casa Costello

2 comments:

  1. They look really cute and I do love a good zesty cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh Kirsty these look so light and fresh. Can almost feel the tang behind my ears! Thanks again for linking up with #Bakeoftheweek - New linky open in about an hour x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x