Sunday 17 August 2014

Almond and Morello Cherry Florentines - Great Bloggers Bake Off

I was very excited to see that Florentines were featured in this weeks Great British Bake Off.

They really are my favourite biscuits. So how could I let the week go by without making some?

I simply couldn't!

That is why, this week, I have chosen the technical bake.

I have decided to follow Mary Berry's recipe which you can find here. I have, however, changed a couple of the ingredients slightly.

This is what I did...

Almond and Morello Cherry Florentines

Ingredients

50g butter
50g dark muscovado sugar
50g runny honey
50g plain flour
25g morello cherries, quartered
25g flaked almonds
25g chopped hazelnuts
75g dark chocolate

Method

Heat the oven to 180C

1 - Place the butter, sugar and honey in a pan and gently heat to melt the butter and dissolve the sugar

2 - Remove from the heat and stir in the flour, morello cherries, flaked almonds, hazelnuts and mix thoroughly

3 - Line 3 baking trays with baking paper

4 - Spoon on 6 teaspoons of the mixture onto each of the baking trays leaving space between each to allow for the spreading

5 - Place in the pre heated oven and bake for 8 minutes

6 - Allow to cool a little before removing from the baking paper using a pallet knife and leaving to cool completely on a cooling rack

7 - Melt 50g chocolate in a bowl over boiling water once melted remove from the heat and stir in the remaining chocolate

8 - Leave the chocolate to cool before dipping one side of the Florentine leave to cool by propping up using the gaps in a cooling rack

9 - Once the chocolate has set a little run a fork along in a zig zag pattern to decorate


I was pleased with how the Florentines turned out. I have made them before but to a different recipe. The Florentines were lovely and crisp whilst the morello cherries gave the perfect balance between the sweet honey, sugar base.

I am baking along with the Great British Bake Off and taking part in the Great Bloggers Bake Off which is hosted by Jenny at Mummy Mishaps.

I am also sharing with Lucy at Super Golden Bakes

GBBO badgesmall

7 comments:

  1. oooh Kirsty i like that you added morello cherries to your florentines, i love cherries
    thanks for joining in again x

    ReplyDelete
  2. fab swirl, Mary would be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! These look and sound all too delectable!

    They are so pretty too!

    Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    Wishing you a lovely week.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. How great that they are your favourite biscuits, I looked at my Mary Berry recipe for these but went for gingerbread instead.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x