Tuesday 12 August 2014

Bake of the Week - Elderflower Cake

This week the lovely Helen at Casa Costello has trusted me to host Bake of the Week while she is away.

The other week I treated myself to a luxury jam that I have just been dying to use and Bake of the Week is definitely the perfect time to use it.

One of my favourite sweet flavours from the garden has to be Elderflower. I love the deliciously subtle flavours that come from homemade cordial. This year I made a homemade Elderflower and Citrus cordial. My Bake of the Week incorporates both the cordial and the jam to create a luxurious tea time treat.

This is what I did...


Elderflower Cake with Gooseberry and Elderflower Jam Filling

Ingredients

200g baking spread
200g caster sugar
4 eggs, at room temperature
200g self raising flour
4 tbsp Elderflower cordial

3tbsp Gooseberry and Elderflower jam
150mls double cream
1tbsp icing sugar

Method

Pre heat the oven to 180C fan

1 - Mix the baking spread and caster sugar together until light and creamy

2 - Gradually add the eggs along with a little flour to prevent curdling

3 - Sift in the flour and mix until all of the ingredients are evenly combined

4 - Pour in 2tbsp of Elderflower cordial and mix

5 - Divide the mixture evenly between two sandwich tins (my mixture weighed 800g so I placed 400g in each tin)

6 - Place in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for 15 minutes

7 - Once the cake is thoroughly bake remove from the oven and prick the top with a fork in various places

8 - Drizzle over 1tbsp of cordial on each cake and leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before removing the cakes from the tin and leaving to finish cooling on a cooling rack

9 - Once the cakes have completely cooled spread on a layer of the Gooseberry and Elderflower jam

10 - Whisk the whipping cream with the icing sugar until thick and spoon over the jam and place the top half of the cake on

11 - Finish the cake but dusting with icing sugar



Enjoy x

My featured Bake of the Week this week are these delicious looking Rainbow Cookies from Mummy Makes Cakes. These cookies are screaming at me to bake. My eldest son is always telling me that I do not bake enough cookies. I will definitely be trying this recipe, they will go down a storm with the children! Also well done on your fantastic win! Just in time for Bake Off time!


As always there were other scrummy recipes.

1 - Wholemeal Lemon Curd Cake - Farmers Wife and Mummy shared a traditional Great British Bake which is her favourite and one of mine!

photo 3

2 - Rainbow Swiss Roll - Mummy Mishaps kicks for this years Great Bloggers Bake Off with this brightly coloured treat!


3 - Almond and Fruit Tarts - ET Speaks From Home shared some great party fruit tarts, that not only good good but are also easy to make!

almond fruit tarts

4 - Cinnamon Chocolate Braid - I am a fan of homemade bread so this braid loaf from BakingQueen74 ticked all the boxes for me. This loaf would be perfect as a mid morning treat!

Cinnamon Chocolate Braid

5 - Cinnamon Swirl Cupcakes - Love Crumbs shared some lovely looking cinnamon cupcakes with a naughty but oh so nice high swirl of frosting on the top!


6 - Single Serving Creme Brulee (gluten-free) - Anyonita Nibbles shared this divine looking Creme Brulee which I must try to bake, this is my hubby's favourite!

crème brûlée with a dark and decadent caramel from Anyonita Nibbles

7 - Caramel Apple Pudding - From me! This cake is delicious with hot creamy custard.






Link up your recipe of the week
Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com

13 comments:

  1. Oooh, that looks delicious! Love your round up too, lots of tasty looking things there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum and excellent timing. I have some home-made elderflower cordial I defrosted to add to some gooseberry ice-cream and now I know how I can use the remainder ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh love elderflower but never tried it in a cake, looks lovely. Nice roundup of bakes too

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't used elderflower in baking before, this looks delicious. I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the sound of elderflower! Sound so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the look of your cake, I've never had gooseberry and elderflower jam - I must try it! Loving your round up for #bakeoftheweek!

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmmmmmm look at the cake it looks loooovely! i love using eldeflower in my cooking too x

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's stunning, my husband adores elderflower so will have to try this one! Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so good, I bet it has a lovely flavour to it #recipeoftheweek

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks great. I really like the delicate flavour that elderflower lends to desserts. Thanks so much for linking up with #recipeoftheweek. Sorry I was particularly slow getting over for this one. I've pinned it to my food board and a tweet will go out shortly :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x