Sunday 10 August 2014

Great Bloggers Bake Off - Orange Cakes with Cardamon Cream

Yay!

It is that time of year again!

Not only is The Great British Bake Off back but also The Great Bloggers Bake Off is back!

Week one focused on cake. The bakers made Swiss Rolls, Cherry Cake and Classic British Miniature Cakes.

This week I have been a bit undecided what to bake. I have previously made a delicious Strawberry and Elderflower Swiss Roll but have already written a post about it. I baked some mini almond cakes which were going to be decorated with cherries to become mini Bakewell cakes but the twins helped themselves before I managed to decorate them! So I had to think again as I had no more almonds!

I then decided to make some cakes which I have been wanting to try for a while but have not got round to.

This is what I did...


Orange Cakes with Cardamon Cream

Ingredients (makes 12 cakes)

125g butter
125g caster sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
125g self raising flour
Zest of 1 orange (I used Sicilian Oranges for their sweet flavour)
1tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
150mls double cream
3 cardamon pods

Method

Pre heat the oven to 180C fan

1 - Mix together the butter and sugar until light and creamy

2 - Stir in the orange zest

3 - Mix in the eggs in one at a time with a little flour to prevent curdling

4 - Sift in the remaining flour and mix well until all of the ingredients are evenly combined

5 - Stir through the orange juice

6 - Spoon an even amount into a greased and lined mini sandwich cake tin

7 - Place in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for 15 minutes

8 - Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before removing and leaving to cool on a cooling rack

9 - Once completely cooled cut the cakes in half

10 - Whisk the cream until thick

11 - Take the cardamon pods and remove the seeds

12 - Using a pestle and mortar grind the seeds

13 - Pour the ground seeds into the cream and mix through

14 - Spoon on the cream onto the base of the cakes and sandwich together with the tops

15 - Sift over icing sugar

These miniature cakes are great for afternoon tea. The cake is a lovely, light, moist sponge which goes perfectly with the citrus flavours of the cardamon.


Enjoy x

I am joining in with the fantastic Great Bloggers Bake off that is hosted by the lovely Jenny at Mummy Mishaps pop over and see what others have baked!

7 comments:

  1. Yum those mini cakes look delicious! I really want one of those tins too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. these look lovely Kirsty and i love the sound of their flavour too.
    thank you for linking up and joining in again x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! And something I would love to eat - orange and cardamom are such a lovely pairing. Thanks for joining the #GBBO #BakeAlong on Supergolden Bakes hope you come back with more bakes! Check out the Pinterest Board http://www.pinterest.com/supergolden88/my-gbbo-bake-along/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your miniature cakes look delicious, no wonder they didn't stay around long enough to be decorated! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet they tasted amazing! They sure look scrummy!xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. they look and sound delicious! #GreatBloggersBakeOff2014

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x