Tuesday 26 January 2016

Freekeh Stuffed Peppers - #CookBlogShare Week 4

You may have noticed recently I have been enjoying more and more vegetarian meals and wanted to change one of my favourite dishes into a meat free version.

I love roasted peppers, especially red, yellow and orange ones. Roasting them transforms their flavours and I normally enjoy them stuffed with a minced beef sauce. Making it into a meat free dish was easy. Like with a lot of my other meat free favourites I simply substitute the meat with a grain or lentils. With this recipe I have used the grain, freekeh.

Freekeh is a fairly new grain to me. I have used it in the past a couple of times. Freekeh is a cereal food made from green wheat that is roasted. It is used in a lot of Arabic meals and originates from there. Freekeh contains up to three times more fibre and protein than brown rice and is low in calories! So not only does it have a delicious nutty flavour it is also very good for you! I must admit that I love this grain, it has a lot more flavour that rice and is so easy to add to meals. With this dish, it went perfectly!

This is what I did...

Freekeh Stuffed Peppers

Ingredients

2 large peppers, I have used red but either yellow or orange will also work as they are sweet peppers
250g freekeh, I used the ready to eat Merchant Gourmet freekeh for convenience
1 lg courgette, quartered and sliced
1 yellow pepper, chopped
1 lg portabello mushrooms, chopped
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
Spray olive oil


1 - Pre heat the oven to 200C

2 - Cook the freekeh as per instructions

3 - Heat a little spray olive oil in a pan

4 - Gently fry the onions over a medium heat, stirring regularly for 5 minutes or until soft

5 - Add the courgettes and yellow pepper and fry for a further 5 minutes

6 - Add the mushrooms and fry for a couple of minutes before adding the tin of tomatoes. I have chosen to use the datterini tomatoes as they are whole baby plum tomatoes in a rich tomato sauce. I love how the baby tomatoes are whole and add so much flavour to the dish.

6 - Stir in the cooked freekeh, mix thoroughly and remove from the heat

7 - Halve the peppers and remove all of the seeds

8 - Place the pepper halves in a roasting tin and spoon in the sauce




9 - Once the peppers are full place in the oven and roast for 25 minutes then remove and serve


These peppers are a perfect meal as they are or would make a delicious accompaniment to a good steak.




As it was only myself having this dish I had enough peppers left to make this meal go further. I placed the peppers in a blender and blended them down into a deliciously, thick sauce which is both a perfectly filling soup or an easy roasted pepper pasta sauce. To make the soup add an extra tin of tomatoes plus half a tin of water and blitz in a blender.




Enjoy x

Disclosure: I was sent a selection of Cirio products to try in my recipes. No cash payment was received.

I am sharing my recipe with Searching For Spice - Cook Once Eat Twice and Honest Mum - Tasty Tuesday

Cook Once Eat Twice

Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com

Now it is over to you. If you want to refresh your mind of the rules you can see them all here


CookBlogShare

8 comments:

  1. The peppers sound gorgeous and freekeh is another grain I would love to try soon. It looks lovely and a bit chewy. Thank you so much for joining in with #CookOnceEatTwice

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit I've never heard of freekeh before, but what you've made with the grain looks incredibly delicious Kirsty.
    Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your peppers stuffed with freekah look super delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love roasted peppers and I am might even be having it for my tea tonight! I have never tried freekah or heard of it until now! Your peppers are making me hungry x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, this looks gorgeous! I have still not tried freekeh, but your post has really made me want to try it...especially with all those health benefits!! And what a great way to use it...LOVE stuffed peppers! Definitely bookmarking this one :-) Eb x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this looks delicious and as a vegetarian I won't even have to adapt it. Stuffed, roasted peppers are my favs. Thank you for sharing lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kirsty,
    These peppers look awesome, I have never used freekeh. I love stuffed bell peppers.

    Thanks for hosting this lovely party.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks delicious Kirsty - I'm a confirmed meat eater, but not every day. Will have to investigate that grain - thanks for hosting #cookblogshare x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x