Wednesday 27 January 2016

Sweet Root Vegetables and Bean Soup

At this time of year I love to eat soups. They are not only a warming dish on a cold day but they are a healthy meal and also super cheap to make. When buying tinned soups in a shop you can pay anything from 65p up to £2 depending on the brand. If you are going to buy a fresh soup you can expect to pay up to £4, again, depending on the brand. Why spend that when you can make your own, with fresh ingredients and know exactly what has been put in it. No added nasties such as preservatives or ingredients that you do not know what they are.

When I went to Aldi to pick up a few ingredients I saw one of their stew packs of root vegetables for just £1.29 for 1.5kg of vegetables I knew that I had my ingredients for a deliciously, warming soup.

This is what I did...

Sweet Root Vegetables and Bean Soup

Ingredients

250g swede, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
2 onions, chopped
1 parsnip, chopped
1 tsp cooking oil
1 400g tin of kidney beans, rinsed
600mls water
2 vegetable stock
Black pepper


Method

1 - Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the onion for 5 minutes, stirring regularly

2 - Add the chopped carrots, swede and parsnip and continue to cook in the oil for 10 minutes over a medium to low heat. This time cannot be rushed, this is when the flavours seal in and combine together!

3 - Pour over the water and bring to the boil then add in the vegetable stock and some black pepper according too taste

4 - Bring to the boil and leave to simmer for 20 minutes

5 - Once the vegetables have softened remove from the heat and allow to cool

6 - Once cool place in a blender and blitz until smooth

7 - To serve return the soup to a pan, add the kidney beans and gently heat


This soup is so easy to make and for just £1.29 for the vegetables, with carrots left over for another meal and just 23p for the kidney beans you will have paid just £1.52 for 4 servings of a fresh, homemade soup!


Enjoy x

Disclosure: I was sent some Aldi vouchers for the purpose of this post.

3 comments:

  1. This looks like a lovely and warming soup - you gotta love Aldi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love those stew packs...so great for making really tasty and super cheap soup...I often put red lentils in mine but I love the idea of using kidney beans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a simple soup to make, but it looks absolutely delicious! I love Aldi, I have experimented far more since shopping in there! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x