Wednesday 6 January 2016

Merchant Gourmet Red and White Quinoa with Sweet and Sticky Cod

Did you know that 2016 is the year of the pulse? What a great excuse to try more pulses and grains!

Regular readers will know that I love trying new foods and have recently been adding a wider range of pulses and grains to my families meals. Grains and pulses are full of nutritional goodness and add such delicious flavours to a dish.

When Merchant Gourmet asked me if I would like to try some of their products and use them in one of my recipes I could not wait to get started.


To kick start the new year, Merchant Gourmet have teamed up with top chef Sophie Michell to promote their new, nationwide campaign "Eat Well, Live Well". They want people to start the new year as they mean to go on, starting and maintaining healthy eating habits and incorporating more pulses and grains into their diets. Over the year Sophie will be sharing some delicious recipes which she hopes will inspire the nation to eat healthier! Healthy meals which taste great are winning meals in my book!

To get you started I have created a quick and easy recipe which is full of flavour and ideal for a midweek meal when you are short of time. Thanks to the Chinese five spice and the Manuka honey it is full of flavour.

This is what I did...

Red and White Quinoa with Sweet and Sticky Cod

Ingredients - Serves 4

4 Cod loins
2 tsp Chinese five spice
1 tsp ground ginger
4 tsp Manuka honey
1 tbsp olive oil
200g baby sweet corn
50g green beans, trimmed
50g tenderstem broccoli
50g asparagus tips
4 tsp olive oil for cooking

Method

1 - To make the sweet and sticky sauce place the Chinese five spice, ground ginger, Manuka honey and 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a bowl and mix together

2 - Spread a layer of the sauce over both sides of the cod loin and place on side for 15 minutes to allow the flavours to soak into the fish

3 - Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and place the cod loin in and cook for 5 minutes on a low heat

4 - While the cod is cooking heat the remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a wok and gently stir fry the baby sweet corn, green beans and asparagus

5 - After the cod has cooked for five minutes turn and cook for a further five minutes

6 - Continue stirring the vegetables regularly, once they start to brown a little reduce the heat to low

7 - To heat the ready to eat quinoa simply squeeze the packet to loosen the quinoa. Tear the pack open by 1cm and place in the microwave for 45 minutes 900W or 55 minutes 800W



To serve simply place half a pack of quinoa on a plate, top with the stir fry vegetables and finally finished with the sweet, sticky cod.



The sweet sticky sauce give the fish an extra kick of flavour. The Chinese five spice and ginger go perfectly with the sweet, floral Manuka honey to give the cod a spicy caramelised finish.



Disclosure: Merchant Gourmet sent me a selection of products for the purpose of this post. No cash payment was received. All words, views and opinions are my owns and 100% honest.

CookBlogShare
Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com
Link up your recipe of the week

7 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious Kirsty. We too tried a bag of the red & white quinoa grains yesterday and they were lovely. We enjoyed ours with roasted veg, salad leaves and goats' cheese.
    Angela x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quinoa is such a versatile grain, it goes with almost anything. I love the idea of goats cheese with it x

      Delete
  2. Oooh I had no idea 2016 was the year of the pulse...I will have to think of some recipes to tie in with that one :-) I do love those little Merchant Gourmet pouches...I use the Puy lentil one a lot. So tasty!! Your recipe looks delicious, thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eb, the year of the pulse gives us a great excuse for more recipes x

      Delete
  3. Happy new year my lovely lady! That looks rather delicious! I love Merchant Gourmet stuff...it is so easy to whip something delicious up and you have certainly done that! I hope you had a great xmas break? I look forward to your delicious recipes this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovey! We had a lovely Christmas thank you, we didn't let the bugs get us down. I hope you had a lovely break and I hope to catch up with you at some point this year x

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year, we love Merchant Gourmet and your dish looks delicious. Thanks for linking up x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x