Thursday 25 February 2016

Action Storage - Ideal for Packed Lunch Foods and PE Kits

When I was challenged to use a school locker as a storage place for school items I immediately knew that being the foodie that I am it would be an ideal opportunity to use for packed lunch items. Next year Joseph goes up to high school, which is a huge step for both him and for me. It will be hard to accept that he really is growing up. With growing up comes more independence.

We have recently started to give Joseph more jobs to do to increase his independence. His jobs in the morning are to finish packing his lunch box with snacks and fruit and to prepare his PE kit. I prepare his sandwiches the night before and he adds the extra bits in the morning. These always get left until the last minute and when I am getting both the twins and myself ready for the morning the last thing I need is Joseph shouting and asking me where his trainers are or where his drinks are. This is where my locker from Action Storage, who supply lockers in schools, comes in. 


The locker is a two door cabinet which enables me to separate his packed lunch extras from his pe kit and other items such as hat and gloves. This way everything that he needs to get is all in one place. This makes it easier for him to locate all of his things and makes life less stressful for me in the mornings.


To make organisation a little easier in the lunch section I have used plastic boxes to separate the different items. On Sunday evenings I can place enough food in to last him the week. So I add 5 packets of crisps, 5 pieces of fruit, 5 natural snacks, 5 drinks, 5 desserts, 5 treats and a large jar of raisins and tubs. It is up to Joseph which items he takes each day, he knows that what is in there is for him. This saves things getting taken and eaten by the twins and leaving him short of pack up items. I can also store spare lunch boxes in there as well.


On a Sunday evening after I have done the school clothes ironing I place Joseph's PE kit in the locker along with his PE bag and trainers so that when it comes to PE day he immediately knows where his kit is. As you can see from the picture above there is plenty of room inside the locker and he keeps his spare pair of trainers in there when they are not needed.


To make the locker a bit more interesting and more personal I personalised it for him with these large MDF letters. I think that you will agree kids like to have their own areas and spaces and this really does identify the lockers as his.


On the cabinet doors I used wooden letters to label what each area was for and added some fun magnetic badges. I have chosen to leave them as plain wood as I do prefer the wooden, natural effect, but I have told Joseph that he can colour them in as much as he wants now that the locker is complete!

 


Using Action Storage is a fantastic way to give your child a fun storage area to help increase independence. So forget the boring drawers, invest in a child friendly locker!

Disclosure: Action Storage challenged me to create a school storage area. I received the locker free of charge and a voucher for the purpose of this post and to be in with the chance of winning a voucher as a prize. All words, views and opinions are my own and 100% honest.

1 comment:

  1. Love the idea of having two separate bits labelled. Trainers ended up in the bottom half of ours as well

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x