Thursday 25 February 2016

Healthy Spinach and Ricotta Style Cannelloni - Slimmerseekers Thursday Week 7

For this weeks Slimmerseeker Thursday I thought that I would share with you a super healthy recipe. I don't know about you but I love ricotta cheese, especially with spinach. But with Slimming World ricotta equals syns. So I thought that I would have a go at making my own syn free version of this much loved, cheesy dish.

In the past I have used cottage cheese as a lasagne topping so I thought that I could substitute the ricotta for fat free cottage cheese and it worked perfectly!

This is what I did...

Healthy Spinach and Ricotta Cannelloni

Ingredients

1 onion, chopped
300g spinach
2 garlic cloves. crushed
1 courgette, grated
24 cannelloni tubes
390g finely chopped tomatoes (I used Cirio Finely Chopped Tomatoes)
600g fat free cottage cheese
Fresh Parmesan
Salt and Pepper
1/2 lemon, juiced
Spray oil

Method

1 - Spray a little oil in a large pan. add the onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes

2 - Add the grated courgette and continue to cook for 5 minutes

3 - Add the spinach, cover and leave over a low heat until all of the spinach has wilted

4 - Remove from the heat and stir in 500g of the cottage cheese along with the lemon juice, salt and pepper

5 - Allow the mixture to cool down before filling the tubes and pre heat the oven to 180C

6 - Once cooled fill the cannelloni tubes, I have found that the easiest way to fill them is by spooning it and pushing it in with my fingers, there really is no clean easy way to do it I am afraid!

7 - Once all of the tubes are filled and placed in an oven proof dish pour over the finely chopped tomatoes


8 - Spoon on the remaining cottage cheese and spread over the top


9 - Grate over a little fresh Parmesan cheese if you wish and add a little salt and pepper

10 - Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes


This cannelloni is delicious and filling on its own or you can reduce down the portion size and serve with a side salad.



Enjoy x

On to last weeks linky. Cheryl from Madhouse Family Reviews had a successful week, I wish I had a bit of her motivation for exercise. Kaila from Healthy Help shared a delicious turkey sandwich recipechai tea latte pumpkin biscuits and a post all about healthy iherb, these posts left me hungry for some healthy treats! Mrs Teapot maintained her weight and last week felt very much how I am this week. Sim from Sims Life shared how she had resisted a basket of Cadbury's Easter chocolates (I certainly would not be able to resist!) and some vegan spaghetti products which I am dying to try! Pempi's Palace is my hero, she managed to refuse FREE cake, well done! Even though she has maintained I think that she has achieved so much just saying no to free cake!

Well done to everyone and thank you for joining in with Slimmerseeker.

Now on to my week. My week has not been great but I am making positive steps in the right direction. Over the last couple of months my depression my got worse again. This has resulted in little motivation and becoming a bit of a recluse. This has ended up in me wanting to eat more but I am being strong and not giving in as much as I used to. Yesterday I returned to the doctors and after telling him everything my tablets are in the process of being changed. I am hoping that the change in medication will result in the happy, confident me returning. As you can imagine feeling like this is not great for slimming. But this week I did manage to maintain my weight. I am delighted with this as I was expecting to see a couple of pounds on after enjoying cake for the twins birthday!

This week has seen me start a new diet plan called Nutribuddy. This consists of hunger fix tablets, multivitamins and a sculpting whey shake. I have taken some before pictures and after two weeks I am hoping that I can show you my after pictures with great changes! So keep an eye out for that.

My results so far...
  • Start weight 04/01/16 - 14 st
  • Weigh in one 11/01/16 - Loss of 6lbs - 13 st 8 lbs
  • Weigh in two 18/01/16 - Loss of 2lbs - 13 st 6 lbs
  • Weigh in three 25/01/16 - Loss of 3lbs - 13 st 3 lbs
  • Weigh in four 01/02/16 - Loss of 1lb - 13 st 2 lbs
  • Weigh in five 08/02/16 - Loss of 3lbs - 12st 13lbs
  • Weigh in six 15/02/16 - Gain 1lb - 13 st
  • Weigh in seven 22/02/16 - Maintain 13 st
Now over to you! How has your week been? Remember that you can link up any health, weight loss, fitness, healthy recipe posts both old and new welcome.


Hijacked By Twins


CookBlogShare
Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

6 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you're going through a tough time at the moment. Hopefuliy the new medication will start to work very soon! This cannelloni sounds lovely. The only time I've tried to make it was a bit of a disaster, maybe it's time to try again. Thanks for sharing with #CookBlogShare x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh lovely, sorry to hear you're having a rough time, fingers crossed the medication helps you and with the promise of Spring around the corner, hopefully you'll be feeling brighter in no time. The cannelloni looks delicious, thanks for the recipe! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! Thanks for this wonderful recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh that loks rather tasty - great ingredient swap :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maintaining your weight is as hard as losing weight - that is still an achievement and hope you are having a better week! The recipe looks amazing - huge fan of spinach in anything, such an underused food! Thank you so much for linking to #WeightLossWednesday - took last week off but am back on it tomorrow! Hope you are having a good week chick! Sim xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds delicious! I am a bit lazy and avoid cannelloni at home as I find it so fiddly to fill the tubes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x