Friday 19 February 2016

Sweet Veggie Chilli

I have recently been changing some of our most loved meat dishes into vegetarian dishes. This had to be some of our favourites. This chilli is more of a sweet chilli, I did not want to make the usual spicy chilli, this time I went for a sweeter chilli.

I changed the beef for puy lentils and they went perfectly with the other ingredients.

This is what I did...

Sweet Veggie Chilli

Ingredients

250g ready to eat puy lentils, I used Merchant Gourmet
1 red onion
1 red pepper
1 stick of celery
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 400g tin of kidney beans
1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
1tsp chilli powder
1tsp cinnamon
Spray oil
Rice to serve

Method

1 - Cook the rice as per instructions, I used long grain mixed with wild rice, allow one cup of rice per person

2 - Place the onion, pepper and celery in a food processor and blitz until finely chopped

3 - Heat a little oil in a pan, add the finely chopped vegetables and the crushed garlic and cook until starting to soften

4 - Pour in the chopped tomatoes, kidney beans, puy lentils and add the chilli and cinnamon

5 - Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes then serve on a bed of rice


This chilli with the sweet addition of cinnamon made a delicious change and one that everybody enjoyed. I blitz the vegetables as we currently have a fussy twins. When the vegetables are tiny like this he eats them with no question! But if you like them chunkier don't blitz them simply chop them.


Enjoy x


Sharing with...
CookBlogShare

3 comments:

  1. Looks good and I am surprised how much it looks like a meat chili.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious and hearty! I love how simple and straightforward the recipe is, can't wait to try adding cinnamon to my next veggie chili.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This dish looks and sounds awesome. I am vegetarian so this is very good for me.I have not used puy lentils but they are similar to green lentils I use.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x