Wednesday 30 July 2014

Cheap Budget Meal - Pan Fried Basa

We all enjoy fish, however what I don't enjoy is the price of fish!

I don't know about you but I have found that the price of fish has been going up and up. With the increase in the price for fish, the amount that we have and can afford has gone down.

Well, that is until I discovered Basa.

Basa is a white fish that is not only a more sustainable fish but is also half the price of the traditional cod and haddock options.

This week I am going to share with you a simple pan fried recipe that gives the classic fish and chips meal a twist.

Here is this weeks Cheap Budget Meal recipe...


Pan Fried Basa with Sweet Potato Chips and Mushy Peas

Ingredients

Basa fillets (£1 per fillet, I bought 4)
3 tbsp plain flour
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 egg (£1.39 for 6)
Olive oil
3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chips (96p)
Spray oil
1 tin mushy peas (30p)

Method

1 - Heat the oven to 200C and place a roasting tin with spray oil coating the base in to heat up.

2 - Once the oven is to temperature place the sweet potato chips in the roasting pan, spray with a little oil and roast for 30 minutes. Check half way through and move the chip around.

3 - While the chips are cooking mix together the flour and black pepper on a deep dish.

4 - Coat the basa fillets with beaten egg and then coat in the flour and black pepper.

5 - Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan.

6 - Add the coated fish fillets and fry over a medium heat for 10 - 15 minutes turning regularly.


Serve with the sweet potato chips and some good old mushy peas!


This meal gives a new twist on the traditional meal which the whole family will enjoy.


What is even better is the price. I fed my family of 5 for just £5.26. Thanks to the chickens we don't buy  eggs but if you buy them it would still only cost £6.65 and you would have 5 remaining eggs! That is just £1.33 per serving. Which is a fraction of the cost of a fish and chips take away and a lot healthier too!

Enjoy x



I am sharing my Cheap Budget Recipe with


Link up your recipe of the week
Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com

9 comments:

  1. I love fish too and they are expensive! That look a fab price for one pound! Look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Basa! I usually fry it with butter and lemon but I never thought to batter it! Thanks!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kirsty, I'm so impressed with your budgeting. The whole meal looks fab.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks really attractive and it's amazing that you achieve such an appealing meal so cheaply!

    Thanks for linking up to #recipeoftheweek - sorry I'm a bit late over! Have Pinned this post and scheduled in a tweet. New linky live at 6 :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. So yummy, on the meal planner for this week! Yay! Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x