Wednesday 2 July 2014

Why Use A Meat Thermometer?

Why use a meat thermometer?

This was something that I always said until I actually looked into why it is recommended that you use a thermometer when cooking meat. It is essential that when cooking meat it reaches sufficient temperature to kill off any pathogen which lead to illness and food poisoning. Since having children I have become so much more aware of the food that I cook and how I cook it.

The one meat that always concerns me when I cook it is chicken. After all of the salmonella scares years ago I have always swayed on the side of caution and, I'll admit, will often over do chicken to make sure.

This is where a meat thermometer come in perfectly.

I have been looking at getting a meat thermometer for a while but have just not got round to it. When the lovely people at thermometersuk.com contacted me and asked me if I would like to try and review one of their digital thermometers I was delighted.

I was so surprised how easy it was to use. The Polder digital thermometer that I was sent has been pre programmed which was a relief as I have no idea what temperature meat should be! You simply turn it on, select which meat you are cooking.

There are settings for:

  • Beef - taste can be selected from rare, medium rare, medium, well done
  • Pork - taste can be selected from medium rare, medium, well done
  • Chicken - fixed taste/temperature
  • Turkey - fixed taste/temperature
  • Veal - taste rare, medium rare, medium, well done
  • Lamb - taste rare, medium rare, medium, well done
Once you have selected your meat and taste you place the probe into the centre of the meat, or thigh if you are cooking chicken or turkey and place your meat in the oven. Plug the probe into the digital monitor and turn on the alarm.



When the meat is getting close to the required temperature the alarm will go off to let you know.


The monitor has two magnets fitting which allows you to place it on the oven front. I make the most of the magnets and store it on my extractor fan when I am not using it.


This really has made cooking meat easier and has taken away the worry of under cooking meat.


What is great about this thermometer is that it is not just for meat use. There is a setting where you can set your own temperatures so it'll be perfect for making jams and chutneys!

If you do not have a meat thermometer or are unsure about getting one. I would thoroughly recommend buying one. I was amazed by how easy this particular thermometer was to use and have used it ever since without fail!

To read more technical information regarding this thermometer and other thermometers visit thermometersuk.com

Disclosure: I was kindly sent the thermometer for the purpose of this review post. No payment was received. All views and opinions are my own and 100% honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x