Tuesday 22 July 2014

Chocolate, Lime and Courgette Cupcakes

Yes, you have read the title correct!

This recipe is for deliciously moist Chocolate, Lime and Courgette cakes. We have an abundance of homegrown courgettes at the moment so it was a perfect time to bake these lovely cupcakes.


Courgettes are a great addition to sponge cakes. They give the sponge a real moist texture that goes perfectly with chocolate and citrus flavours. Even if you don't like courgettes try these cakes! I have successfully got courgette haters to eat and enjoy these cakes!


This is what I did...

Chocolate, Lime and Courgette Cupcakes

Ingredients

150g baking spread/butter
150g caster sugar
3 eggs, at room temperature
150g self raising flour
25g cocoa powder
100g courgette, grated
Zest of 1 lime
Juice of 1 lime (half for the cakes and half for the frosting)
Chocolate buttons
150g soft full fat cheese
50g butter, at room temperature
350g icing sugar

Method

Pre heat the oven to 180C fan

1 - Mix the spread and caster sugar together until light and creamy

2 - Mix in the eggs, one at a time along with a little flour to prevent curdling

3 - Add the courgettes, lime zest, half the lime juice, self raising flour and cocoa powder, mix until all of the ingredients are evenly combined

4 - Spoon the cake mixture into bun cases, you'll get between 12 - 15 cupcakes, depending on how big you make them

5 - Before placing the cupcakes in the oven place a chocolate button in the middle of the cake mixture

6 - Place in the middle of the pre heated oven and bake for 15 minutes

7 - Once thoroughly baked remove from the oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes before removing from the tin

8 - Once the cakes have completely cooled prepare the frosting by mixing the butter and soft cheese together

9 - Gradually add the icing sugar and the remaining half of lime juice

10 - Pipe the frosting onto the buns and top with a piece of lime and a chocolate button

Enjoy x


I have to include the following pictures. Whilst I was taking my cake pictures, as I was finishing, Taylor popped his head and hand up. He scooped off a finger full of frosting, followed by licking some off. The kiddies love these cakes!




I am sharing my recipe with:

Honest Mum - Tasty Tuesdays
A Mummy Too - Recipe of the Week
Casa Costello - Bake of the Week

Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com
Link up your recipe of the week
Casa Costello

18 comments:

  1. These look amazing! And I love that they have courgette hidden in them! #tastytuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last picture is a classic! I make a chocolate courgette cake but it can be a bit dry - I reckon the addition of lime would make all the difference! Will try this especially as my courgettes are coming in thick and fast now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have so many courgettes I am adding them in to anything I can think of :-)

      Delete
  3. They sound really different, and they look delicious, most definitely I will try these out for my girls :) #tastytuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfection! Love the use of courgettes too! This post is DREAMY! Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kirsty these cupcakes look gorgeous, I love how you have incorporated the goodness of courgette into them. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, they're a great way to sneak some goodness in, makes the guilt free :-)

      Delete
  6. Your recipe is similar to mine this week. I have used courgettes and nuts in a chocolate cake. It really does work, doesn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the addition of cougettes, I find they give cakes a more moist texture. I'll pop and look at yours as the nuts sound lovely :-)

      Delete
  7. Ooooh, courgette and chocolate? I must try these! Thanks for linking up to #recipeoftheweek - sorry I'm a bit late over! Have Pinned this post and scheduled in a tweet. New linky just went live for this week :) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love courgette in cakes, it keeps them so moist. Chocolate and lime sounds like a great combination too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, this is a must-try combination - I bet they are so zingy with the Lime! Thanks again for linking up with #Bakeoftheweek x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lime does give them some extra zing :-) thank you for hosting x

      Delete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x