Wednesday 9 July 2014

Passion Fruit Cake

Passion Fruits have to be one of my favourite fruits.

I love to incorporate them into my baking to give cakes an extra tangy taste and paired with fresh cream they give the perfect combination to soft sponge cakes.

This is a cake that was enjoyed by all, three days later I was making it again for the hubby's birthday cake. It really has been a huge success! This is why I am sharing it with you today!

This is what I did...


Passion Fruit Cake

Ingredients

150g baking spread
150g caster sugar
3 eggs at room temperature
125g self raising flour
25g ground almonds
3tbsp passion fruit curd, plus extra for the filling
1 passion fruit
200mls double cream
2tbsp icing sugar

Method

Pre heat the oven to 180C fan

1 - Mix together the baking spread and caster sugar until light and creamy

2 - Gradually add the eggs along with a spoon of flour to prevent curdling

3 - Sift in the flour and add the ground almonds and mix until all of the ingredients are evenly combined

4 - Stir in the passion fruit curd

5 - Place the cake mixture in a lined loaf tin and bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until thoroughly baked

6 - Once baked through leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before removing and leaving to cool completely on a cooling rack

7 - Once completely cooled cut the cake in half

8 - Spread over a layer of passion fruit curd onto the inside of both halves

9 - Whip the cream until thick and stir in the icing sugar to sweeten

10 - Spoon on half of the cream onto the bottom half of the cake

11 - Scoop out the insides of the passion fruit and place half of the insides on top of the layer of cream

12 - Place the top half of cake onto the bottom so that you have a creamy passion fruit layer in the middle

13 - Spread over the top of the cake the remaining cream and top with the remaining passion fruit and serve


As this cake contains fresh cream store any left over cake in the fridge. This makes a delicious sweet treat that can be enjoyed as a dessert of as an afternoon treat! The light and fluffy sponge goes perfectly with the cool cream and tangy passion fruit.

Enjoy x



I am sharing this post with the lovely Helen at Casa Costello - Bake of the Week

Casa Costello

I am also sharing with Misplaced Brit and The Deliberate Mom Shine Blog Hop
The Deliberate Mom

5 comments:

  1. My husband would love this cake too, it looks fab. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this before! I will have to give this a try sometime (we love passion fruit).

    Thanks so much for sharing (and for linking up to the SHINE Blog Hop).

    Wishing you a lovely weekend.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'm so pleased you are back, Kirsty. I've missed you at #Bakeoftheweek but didn't want to harass you. Love love love passion fruit and your cake looks fantastic xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x