Wednesday 30 April 2014

Cheap Budget Meal - One Pot Bacon and Broad Bean Rice

This weeks cheap budget meal is a one pot meal.

I love one pots meals, not only because they save on washing up but also because they are always full of flavour and easy to make!

This week I have taken on the Organix No Junk challenge. I do already make all of our meals from scratch but this challenge has made me look more at the ingredients that are in the foods that we eat. Basically if you do not know what the ingredient is, if you would not find it in an everyday kitchen, don't eat it! This has meant that I have changed the stock cubes that I usually use for one that contains ingredients that I know!

This is my Cheap Budget Meal recipe this week...

One Pot Bacon and Broad Bean Rice

Ingredients

6 rashers of smoked bacon, chopped (£2.50)
1 courgette, halved and sliced (34p)
1 onion, chopped (16p)
6 medium chestnut mushrooms, chopped (50p)
300g broad beans, (55p)
350g rice (white rice 40p per 1kg bag)
1.5ltr vegetable stock
Rosemary, I used fresh rosemary out of the garden but if you do not have fresh rosemary use 1tsp of dried rosemary


Method

1 - Heat a little olive oil in a large pan

2 - Place the bacon and onions in the pan and cook for 5 minutes on a medium heat

3 - Add the courgettes and mushrooms, cook until the bacon has browned off and the vegetables have softened

4 - Add the rice and rosemary to the pan and heat for a couple of minutes

5 - Pour in half of the stock and allow the rice to soak up the majority of the stock before adding the remaining stock and the broad beans. You may not need to use the full 1.5ltr if you are using wholegrain rice you will do but if you are using plain white rice you may only need 1ltr.


This is such an easy one pot meal to make and all of the ingredients are known! There is no junk used in making this great, family friendly meal.

This one pot meal fed all five of us with leftovers which have been frozen for another day. This meal can be made for £4.45, we got 6 servings from this, so that is just 74p per serving and you have rice left over for another 2 meals!

This meal is good for you, contains no junk, is full of flavour and in budget!

Enjoy x



I am sharing this recipe with Cold Tea and Smelly Nappies Thrifty Thursday pop over and get some great money saving tips!


30 comments:

  1. Yummy! We do a broad bean and bacon risotto as a regular meal Chez Saurus - the kids go nuts for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum this looks really tasty!! I'm going to give this a go for sure! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. interesting mix, im not a big fan of bean, but bacon is always lush

    ReplyDelete
  4. Risotto is one of my favourites so it nice to have some new ideas the kids get sick of the same type every time

    ReplyDelete
  5. MMM that looks yummy. One pot meals are good in our busy household as well x

    ReplyDelete
  6. No junk, healthy and delicious makes it sound like a definite winner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great dish ~looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds delicious and very simple.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Broad beans grow so well in our garden and I have no idea why we grow them since I am not a fan... I'm going to give this a try because it looks so good; maybe I'll be a broad bean convert!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had never try board bean before! Cos it is green! lol. I might give it a try as I love rice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks yummy, both the boys love rice so will have to give this a go. Always looking for healthier recipes to try out with them so thanks for sharing xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds really yummy and I love to idea of so little washing up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic recipe thats for sharing .

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds yummy! I don't get to eat broad beans much anymore...OH is a fussy so and so!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this idea - thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My little one is just starting to eat rice happily so I will have to try this one out on him. It sounds delicious. Good luck with the no junk challenge x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum Yum, when's the cook book coming out...? xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Interesting recipe, my children love bacon

    ReplyDelete
  19. I saw Bacon!!!
    Yes I will be trying this - Whoop Whoop!
    Thanks for sharing hunny

    Lotte xo
    Berice Baby - London Lifestyle and Kids Fashion Blogger

    ReplyDelete
  20. very interesting not my cup of tea though

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really need to get into this one pot cooking, as it does look easy, and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. F loves bacon so I might try this one, I'm loving all these no junk organix posts going round the bloggosphere. x

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks delicious and something I know my kids would love. I'm pinning it :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love one pot meals. This looks tasty. #ThriftyThursday

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love one pot meals - I've never tried my kids with broad beans

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great cheap meal. May have to try it sometime in the future x

    ReplyDelete
  27. We are huge fans of one pot dishes... they are simply the best

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x