Tuesday 1 April 2014

Lemon and Berry Cake

On Mothers Day we had a lovely meal at my mum and dads. My mum cooked the main course and I volunteered to make the dessert.

My favourite cake has to be a lemon cake. I love the moist texture and the sharp citrus taste.
I find that a perfect fruit to combine with lemon are berries. Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, for me, they all go so well together.

This was where I got my inspiration for this special cake.

This is what I got...

Lemon and Berry Cake

Ingredients

2 lemons
250g baking spread
250g caster sugar
280g self raising flour
5 eggs
1tsp baking powder
1/2tsp vanilla paste
400g raspberries
400g strawberries, quartered
300mls double cream
2tbsp icing sugar

Method

Pre heat the oven to 180C

1 - Mix together the baking spread and caster sugar until light and creamy

2 - Add the eggs one at a time with a little flour to prevent curdling

3 - Mix in the vanilla paste, the zest of the lemons and the juice

4 - Sift in the flour and mix until evenly combined

5 - Place the mixture in a deep, lined cake tin, place in the pre heated oven and bake for about an hour or until a knife comes out clean when placed through the centre

6 - Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before removing and let it cool completely

7 - Once the cake has cooled slice in half

8 - Whisk the cream with the icing sugar until it is thick enough to spread over the cake

9 - Cover the bottom half of the cake with cream

10 - Place a layer of raspberries on the bottom half of the cake

11 - Spread a layer of cream onto the top half of the cake

 
12 - Sandwich the two half together
 
 
13 - Cover the whole cake with cream, leaving the raspberries in the centre visible
 
14 - Arrange the quarters of the strawberries around the edge of the top of the cake, followed by a ring of raspberries
 
15 - Cut up any remaining strawberries into small pieces and place them in the centre of the cake
 
I finished the cake off with three rice paper daisies but you can decorate as you wish.
 
This is a deliciously moist cake. The sharp flavours and the cool sweet cream go so well together.
 
This certainly was a dessert fitting for a special mum!
 
Enjoy x

 
I am sharing this recipe with Honest Mum's Tasty Tuesdays pop over and take a looks at a delicious looking Chocolate Torte and what other bloggers have shared.



Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com

I am also sharing this recipe with A Mummy Too's Recipe of the Week pop over and take a look at some leafy green recipes and what other bloggers have shared.

Link up your recipe of the week
 
I am also sharing this recipe with Casa Costello's Bake of the Week take a look at a delicious Oaty Cookie recipe and what other bloggers have shared.

Casa Costello

19 comments:

  1. Drop dead gorgeous and decadent cake...what a great mother's day treat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anything with berries and cream gets my vote and attention. This looks so delicious. All these desserts making me want to go bake. Thanks for sharing. #tastytuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, looks amazing :) #TastyTuesdays x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an amazing looking cake, I bet it tasted gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love any cake with lemon in and berries made everything look so pretty and delicious don't they? This cake makes me feel summery! Looks fab :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a beautiful cake. I''ve realised that I've never actually made a lemon cake yet so maybe that will be my next baking challenge - I doubt it'll be quite as pretty as this though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks amazing. Bet it tasted lovely

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh the strawberry flower cake looks delicious! I made a strawberry pavlova at the weekend :) I also have a delicious lemon cake recipe, one of my favourites!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, yum! Lemon cake's my favourite too. I made some for Gwen's birthday but accidentally used plain instead of self-raising flour. Didn't turn out too badly, though! I love the sound of the berry combination in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't like Berry's but this does look so stunning x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love lemon cake, this looks lovely. Will have to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  12. that is heaven on a plate right there excellent choice of flavours to put together too this would not look out of place for afternoon tea ... can i come ?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Citrus and berries are such a great combination - my mouth is watering!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow - this looks A-mazing! My eldest's favourite cake is lemon drizzle so with all that added cream and fruit she would be in heaven. I will have to bookmark this for her next birthday I think!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ohh you have some lovely recipes on here, that looks fab. Mich x #blogclub

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks so scrumptious. Perfect summery cake. A lovely combination to use lemon and berries.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Too beautiful to eat (almost) there is no end to your talents lady. Thanks for linking up to #tasytuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  18. that cake looks lush, save me a slice!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That cak3 looks amazing, well done!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x