Wednesday 2 April 2014

Cheap Budget Meals - Pearl Barley Risotto

I have had quite a lot of vegetables in the fridge to use so this week I have made a vegetarian cheap, budget meal.

We all enjoy risotto but arborio rice can be expensive. So a way to enjoy a risotto style meal is to us pearl barley.

Pearl barley is a cheap grain to buy and is so tasty when cooked in a stock as it absorbs all of the flavours.

This is my Cheap Budget Meal recipe this week...

Pearl Barley Risotto

Ingredients

2 carrots, chopped (15p)
1 large or 2 small parsnips, chopped (22p)
1 leek (50p)
6 med mushrooms (50p)
3 tomatoes (38p)
250g pearl barley (55p for 500g bag)
600mls vegetable stock
1/2tsp mixed herbs

Method

Pre heat the oven to 180C

1 - Fry the leeks and mushrooms in a drop of olive oil

2 - Once softened add the tomatoes, carrots and parsnips and fry for a couple of minutes

3 - Add the pearl barley and pour over the vegetable stock

4 - Bring to the boil and transfer to a casserole dish and cover

5 - Place in the oven and cook for 40 minutes, check after 30 minutes and add more water if needed

This is a quick and easy meal to prepare and will not disappoint! All three of my children loved the sweetness that the parsnips add and the textures of the pearl barley.

This is a super healthy meal both for the body and for the bank!

This meal served all five of us with some leftover for a budgeting £2.30!

That is only 46p per portion!

46p a portion for a healthy meal that is full of fresh vegetables!

Enjoy x

 

I am sharing this recipe with A Mummy Too's Recipe of the Week I am delighted that the recipe that I shared last week Lemon and Berry Cake had a mention as well as two other recipes that used strawberries. Pop over and take a look!
Link up your recipe of the week









I am sharing this recipe with Honest Mum's Tasty Tuesdays check out the delicious Grilled Swordfish and Garlic Sauce recipe


I am sharing this recipe with Romanium Mums Friday Foodie pop over and take a look at the other delicious vegetarian recipes.

Romanian Mum

16 comments:

  1. I LOVE pearl barley (I add it to all my soups) and am always up for a new way to incorporate it into a meal. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's fantastic was good value .x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Risotto is one of my absolute favourite meals. Sadly I can't convince the rest of my family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've often wanted to try this but never really got round to it, probably because I don't know what to make with it. Thanks for sharing this recipe, I can't wait to try it. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum, we love pearl barley and it is a great filler food

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love pearl barley and risotto, this could become my new fav dish! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. i often see people talking about rissotto but the look of it does not look appealing t me great recipe hun

    ReplyDelete
  8. Only wish I could persuade my girls to try this.... will give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Only wish I could get my girls to try this... will give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't ever cooked with pearl barley. I'll have to give it a go

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds lovely - we love pearl barley and add it to lots to fill it out x x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pearly barley is sooooo nutritious! I'll have to give this one a go.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have some pearly barley left over from my soup, so will give this a go...maybe adding in a bit of chilli as I like it hot! Brilliant value meal. #TastyTuesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this, brilliant recipe x #TastyTuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh fab recipe, tasty, healthy and inexpensive! Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  16. one of this days i need to try barley! thank you for linking up with #fridayfoodie and for adding the blog hop!

    pinned and shared x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x