Wednesday 16 April 2014

Cheap Budget Meal - Spaghetti Carbonara

I love this quick and easy meal.
 
If I ever need to cook a meal in a hurry which will please everyone this is always a winner!

Not only is it a quick and easy meal, its is also a cheap meal to prepare and is full of taste!
 
This week I had a helper in the kitchen. Joseph loved helping me by peeling and chopping the mushrooms.

This is my Cheap Budget Meal recipe this week...
Spaghetti Carbonara
 
Ingredients
 
250g spaghetti (20p for 500g packet)
6 rashers of smoked bacon (£2.50)
1 onion, sliced (16p)
6 medium mushrooms, sliced (50p)
4 eggs (£1 for 6)
60mls milk
100g mature cheddar cheese, grated (£1.30)
Fresh parsley
Black pepper
 
Method
 
1 - Cook the pasta as per instructions
 
2 - Dry fry the bacon with the onions
 
3 - When the bacon is browned off add the mushrooms and fry until soft
 
4 - Drain the pasta and return to the pan
 
5 - Beat the eggs and mix in the milk, some chopped fresh parsley if you have any, if not dried will be ok and a sprinkling of black pepper
 
6 - Mix the bacon, onions and mushrooms in with the spaghetti
 
7 - Pour over the egg mixture, stir in so that all of the spaghetti is covered, put on a medium heat and cover for a few minutes
 
8 - Once the egg is cooked serve
 
This dish is delicious on its own, with Parmesan sprinkled over the top, with a salad or with garlic bread.
 
This meal served all 5 of us, with some leftover, for £5.66. That's just £1.13 per serving! You would also be left with half a packet of spaghetti and 2 eggs for another meal.
 
Enjoy x
 
 

 
 

26 comments:

  1. Looks like an absolutely perfect family meal - and made by the family too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've actually never made a carbonara *blushes* I love tomato based pastas. My partner loves it though so maybe I'll surprise him, follow your recipe and make this for him lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried carbonara. It looks lovely and I reckon my kids will like it so I'm going to pin it so i can find it again :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this recipe. The food looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I haven't made this in an age, must put it on next weeks menu plan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never knew there was egg in Carbonara! Have to try this now, your version looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love spaghetti carbonara - we have a version that my 11 year old makes for us and its often her choice to cook when it's her night in the kitchen x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks yummy! I wish I could eat eggs...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmmm i like the sound of this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. we love spaghetti carbonara! they are great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good idea! Could be easily adapted too to suit different needs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My kids adore spaghetti carbonara. I'd not thought of letting them make it themselves, but I shall have a go!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We love carbonara, it's so quick and easy to do, plus it's yummy :) x

    ReplyDelete
  14. We love this but I haven't made it for ages.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's one of our favourite meals.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great recipe xxx mmmmm yummy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds delicious. We haven't tried this in a while, but must give it a go. My kids would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks yummy! This is my boys favourite

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks so yummy. my girls love cheesy pasta's and would love this recipe x

    ReplyDelete
  20. yummy - we recently discovered the joy of carbonara ourselves- the kids go mad for it"

    ReplyDelete
  21. this is one of my favourite meals! Although we have it without bacon :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Look yummy and EASY which for me it so has to be lol! I'll be making this very soon x

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks delicious too and simple to make which is necessary in this house :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. We made this too this week, always a favourite in our house!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Spaghetti anything is the best meal around here. The boys would eat it every day if I let them :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x