Tuesday 29 April 2014

Morello Cherry and Almond Cake

I love the combination of morello cherries and almonds.

We recently had a delicious morello cherry and almond dessert, from Tesco, which gave me the idea to bake this cake.

I decided to bake this cake a little differently than how I usually make a cake with fruit in. This was mainly for Joseph, who does not like cherries. I added a layer of cherries as I placed the cake mixture in the cake tin. This gave me layer of cherries near the bottom so that I was easily able to remove them for Joseph. However if everyone likes cherries you can mix them in with your cake batter before placing in the tin.

This is what I did...

Morello Cherry and Almond Cake

Ingredients

200g baking spread
200g caster sugar
4 eggs, at room temperature
150g self raising flour
50g ground almonds
100g morello cherries, halved
Flaked almonds

Method

Pre heat the oven to 180C

1 - Mix the baking spread until smooth

2 - Mix in the caster sugar until light and creamy

3 - Gradually add the eggs with a little flour to prevent curdling

4 - Sift in the flour and add the ground almonds and mix until all of the ingredients are evenly combined

5 - If you all like cherries, shake them in a little flour to coat them and add to your cake mixture now, if you would like a layer of cherries near the base follow the following instructions

6 - Line and grease a cake tin and add half of the cake mixture

7 - Arrange the halved morello cherries on top of the cake mixture

8 - Place the remaining half of cake mixture on top of the cherries and sprinkle a hand full of flaked almonds over the top

9 - Place the cake tin in the pre heated oven and bake for 40 minutes or until a knife comes out clean when placed through the centre of the cake

10 - When the cake is thoroughly baked remove from the tin and leave to cool on a rack

This cake is delicious when still slightly warm but just as good when completely cooled. I finished our cake off with a sprinkling of icing sugar.

For once this was a cherry cake that we all ate and enjoyed!

Enjoy x




I am sharing this recipe with A Mummy Too's Recipe of the Week pop over and take a look at some delicious recipes!

Link up your recipe of the week
 
I am also sharing with Casa Costello's Bake of the Week go over and check out Helen's delicious looking Passion Fruit and White Chocolate Profiteroles, they look amazing!
 

Casa Costello
 
I am also sharing with Honest Mum's Tasty Tuesdays pop over and take a look at Vicki's lovely roasted pumpkin and sunflower seeds, they looks so tasty and simple to make!
 

Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com

I am also sharing, for the first time, with Javelin Warriors Made With Love Mondays pop over and check out the made from scratch recipes!

Made with Love Mondays, hosted by Javelin Warrior

7 comments:

  1. Oh my word! This has got to be one of my most favourite combinations - Definitely one on my 'To Bake' list. Thanks for your lovely words about the Profiteroles and for joining in with #Bakeoftheweek - I love that you are a regular! Hx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cherries in homemade cakes - they're always a surprising pop of flavor and when paired with almonds, so good... Plus, they're really pretty too. Thanks so much for sharing with Made with Love Mondays and welcome to the series!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love cherries and almonds Kirsty and this looks delicious x

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES! Cherries and almonds are a golden combo! I bet those almonds make that cake super moist. It's one I'll definitely be trying :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks lovely! And what a clever idea putting the cherries at the bottom for those who are not big fans :-)
    #TastyTuesdays #Recipeoftheweek

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, stunning combination, looks like a perfect cake! Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum my favorite, thanks for sharing this fantastic recipe.

    Simon

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x