Thursday 17 April 2014

Easter Recipe - Rosemary Focaccia

Today, I thought I'd share a savoury recipe.

Easter is not only good for sweet treats but also savoury dishes and meals too, like lamb and eating al fresco, when the sun shines!

One herb that always reminds me of spring and Easter is rosemary. I think that this is because of the traditional lamb, cooked with rosemary, dinner.

I thought that I would mix in a bit of the traditional flavours with one of our favourite sharing breads, focaccia.

We always enjoy this flavoursome Italian bread when it is fresh out of the oven, drizzled with extra olive oil and sea salt!

This is what I did...

Rosemary Focaccia

Ingredients

250g strong white flour
6g salt
6g yeast
60mls olive oil
180mls cool water
Semolina to dust
Sea salt
Fresh rosemary

Method

1 - Place the flour in a large bowl, add the salt to one side and the yeast to the other

2 - Add the olive oil and three quarters of the water and mix

3 - Add a little more water as needed, bearing in mind that this is a wet dough, I use my mixer if I am in a hurry as it is quite a sticky dough but if you have the time use your hands

4 - Once the dough has an elasticated texture place it in a well oiled square plastic tub to prove for about an hour or until it has doubled in size

5 - Once it has proved tip it out onto the worktop dusted with semolina

6 - Without knocking out the air shape it into a rectangular shape and place on a lined baking tray, cover and leave to prove for about 45 minutes or until doubled in size

7 - Pre heat the oven to 200C

8 - Once the dough has doubled in size, poke holes/dimples over the top, push in some sprigs of rosemary, sprinkle over sea salt, drizzle with olive oil and place in the pre heated oven


9 - Bake for about 15 minutes or until the bread sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom


This bread is best served fresh from the oven, warm with a little extra sea salt, an extra drizzle of olive oil and cut into bit sized pieces.

The sprigs of rosemary go crispy when baked so there is no need to remove them as the add such a lovely flavour.

A flavour or spring and of Easter!

Enjoy x

18 comments:

  1. I love finding new bread recipes - That looks lovely! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always find foccacia looks lovely but tastes dry - I'm guessing homemade usually avoids that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never ready made bread before, I think I've always been a little scared to get it wrong but this seems do-able! lol. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh I bet that tastes delicious and smells divine! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks lush, I love the way th sprigs are pointing up out of the dimples!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hun just write me a recipe book :) Then I needn't ever look for another recipe again x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely a favourite of mine. My favourite restaurant (Bellini's) has it on the menu and for love nor money can I recreate it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love rosemary....I love the smell of it growing in the garden and I absolutely love it in food so I would gobble this up in a flash!! Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm, I love focaccia, we serve it at work and i'm always nibbling on some haha! Great recipe x

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks delicious. I'm a huge fan of savoury dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks absolutely delicious. Shall be giving it a try. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Focaccia, but again never made it myslef.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks beautiful and I bet it tasted just as good! I may try this tomorrow x x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum, I love rosemary bread it goes great with baked Camembert too! Lovely recipe, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yummy! Rosemary is my favourite herb, and your focaccia looks delish x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I must experiment more. This looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh gosh this sounds delicious - I could tuck into a piece of two right now. x

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh funny we made focaccia the other day too! was so yummy! x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x