Tuesday 15 April 2014

Easter Recipe - Simnel Cake

For my next Easter Recipe I am doing a traditional Simnel Cake!

We love marzipan, so this cake is always a favourite at this time of year. The hidden layer adds a much loved flavour to a traditional fruit cake.

The top of the cake is decorated with a layer of marzipan and eleven marzipan balls. The balls represent Jesus' disciples, minus Judas.

I have taken Paul Hollywood's recipe and made it my own by changing a few ingredients, you can find the original recipe here

This is what how I made this delicious, traditional Easter cake...

Simnel Cake

Ingredients

500g marzipan
225g baking spread
225g golden caster sugar
4 eggs, at room temperature
225g plain flour
2tsp ground cinnamon
Zest of 2 oranges
4tsp orange juice
450g mixed fruit with candied peel
100g soft apricots, chopped

Method

Pre heat the oven to 150C

1 - Mix the baking spread and caster sugar until creamed together

2 - Add the orange zest, ground cinnamon, orange juice, and the eggs one at a time, mix with a little flour to prevent curdling

3 - Sift in the flour and mix until all of the ingredients are evenly combined

4 - Add the fruit and mix thoroughly

5 - Line a cake tin and place half of the cake mixture into the tin


6 - Roll out a third of the marzipan and cut a disc that is slightly smaller than the tin, place it on top of the cake mixture


7 - Place the remaining cake mixture on top of the marzipan layer

8 - Place in the pre heated oven and bake for 2 and a half hours

9 - Once baked and firm to the touch remove from the tin and leave to cool

10 - To decorate cut a disc of marzipan for the top, secure with a layer of heated lemon curd

11 - Roll 11 marzipan balls and place around the edge of the cake

12 - Brush over with egg wash and place under a hot grill for a couple of minutes to brown

This is a deliciously moist fruit cake with a soft, sweet hidden layer of marzipan.


I am a sharing this recipe with A Mummy Too's Recipe of the Week and Honest Mum's Tasty Tuesdays  pop over and check out some other lovely recipes.
 

Link up your recipe of the week
 
Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com

14 comments:

  1. oooh that looks sooo good Kirsty. beautifully decorated too and i love the styling :)
    My only fault is that i cannot try any! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds lovely, I love marzipan :) #TastyTuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, this looks amazing-wow, I am so impressed! Think the marzipan cutting and moulding scares me! Thanks so much for linking up to #tastytuesdays with this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks yummy and the top of it looks so neat!! #tastytuesday

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, it looks lush, but i hate marzipan)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh great minds. I am just writing up our chocolate simnel cake. The boys are not keen on fruit cake

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks yummy. I adore marzipan! #blogclub

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks beautiful!! I've made a freeform one and I'm desperately hoping it isn't too dry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohh that looks good too, I'm making your hot cross buns tomorow! Mich x #blogclub

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks great, I have never made or tried that cake before x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yum - that looks fabulous and I love how you've made Mr Hollywood's recipe just a little bit easier! I love marzipan but unfortunately the girls don't (no idea why?) but you have inspired me and I may just have to try and find the time to make this to take up to the in-laws for Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks just fantastic. Love marzipan and fruit in my cake, not so keen on apricots though. Guess this will work without?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x