Wednesday 16 April 2014

Easter Recipe - Chocolate and Vanilla Bread Rolls

Easter is the perfect opportunity for foodie treats!

This Easter I am baking some Chocolate and Vanilla rolls for the children to enjoy as either a snack or an Easter breakfast treat!

The bread dough is based on my Hot Cross Buns dough but with cinnamon replaced with vanilla paste in one half of the dough and cocoa powder in the other half.

This is what I did...

Chocolate and Vanilla Bread Rolls

Ingredients

400g strong white flour
6g salt
60g caster sugar
7g yeast
30g unsalted butter, melted
1 egg, at room temperature
100mls of full fat milk or 80mls semi skimmed milk and 20mls cream
75 - 100mls water
1tsp cocoa powder
1tsp vanilla paste
Mixed fruit with candied peel
Chocolate drops, I used milk chocolate but you can use whichever you like

Method

1 -Place the flour into a large bowl, add the salt, sugar, to one side and the yeast on the other

2 - Add the melted butter, the milk, cream if using, egg and half of the water and begin to mix, I use my mixer with the dough hook as it can be hard to knead with it being an enriched dough

3 - Mix until it has a smooth elasticated texture

4 - Split the dough in two pieces

5 - In one half mix in the vanilla paste, knead and place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover and leave to prove

6 - Knead in the cocoa powder into the other half of the dough then place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover and prove

Pre heat the oven to 180C

7 - Once the dough has doubled in size, knock out the air and lay the vanilla dough out into a rectangular shape


8 - Spread out either dried mixed fruit or chocolate chips over the top, I did half with fruit and half with chocolate


9 - Next, shape out the chocolate dough into a rectangle that is slightly smaller than the vanilla one and lay on top of the topping


10 - Fold over the edges of the vanilla dough to seal the fruit or chocolate drops inside


11 - Roll the dough so you have a sausage shape


12 - Using a sharp knife slice pieces of dough 2 - 3 cms wide and place side down onto a lined baking tray


 13 - Bake in the pre heated oven for 10 - 15 minutes or until they sound hollow when tapped on the base

These are delicious when served warm and the kids love then with a glass of milk.

Enjoy x



18 comments:

  1. Oh these look amazing! Anything with chocolate in is a winner but chocolate bread?! YUMMY! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks yummy! will have to try it out

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow these look delicious! I've never bakes bread but might have to give these a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, those look and sound delicious!! Lovely Easter recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh gosh i so want to try this now , thank you for sharing .x

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fab is this! Your recipes are great x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! And double yum! I am on a pesky diet and they are making me droooool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look totally delicious yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a great recipe, these looks amazing. Join Dorothy's Easter linky :) http://dorothywhiskers.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/dorothys-easter-link-up.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, these look delicious! Will definitely be making me some of these ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look delicious. Would love to try them out this weekend. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow I want some right now! Pinning so I can make some with the girls :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for linking up :) Have tweeted and G+'ed for you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy - this looks like something the kids would adore

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love to try and make these, they look great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, looks fab!
    I am too late for Easter now but going to bake it next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Argh! I love bread so much and this recipe has made me want to go into the kitchen and have a go at baking it (despite being 11pm!). I have always wanted to give bread a go, but been a bit scared. This recipe sounds really simple though so might actually give it a go. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x