Monday 14 April 2014

Easter Recipe - Hot Cross Buns

I love Easter time for many reasons.

The long weekend, quality family time, springtime, chocolate eggs and of course yummy food!

Easter Is a great time to get together and enjoy a BBQ, weather permitting, a traditional lamb dinner, simnel cake or even just a hot cross bun in the afternoon.

This week I am going to share some of my favourite Easter recipes.

Today it is hot crossed buns.

I have made both traditional fruit filled hot crossed buns and more child friendly chocolate filled ones.

This is what I did...

Hot Cross Buns

Ingredients

400g strong white flour
6g salt
60g caster sugar
7g yeast
30g unsalted butter, melted
1 egg, at room temperature
100mls of full fat milk or 80mls semi skimmed milk and 20mls cream
75 - 100mls water
2tsp ground cinnamon
60g mixed fruit with candied peel
40g chocolate drops, I used milk chocolate but you can use whichever you like


For the cross

50g plain flour
50mls water

For the glaze

Lemon curd

Method

1 -Place the flour into a large bowl, add the salt, sugar, cinnamon to one side and the yeast on the other

2 - Add the melted butter, the milk, cream if using, egg and half of the water and begin to mix, I use my mixer with the dough hook as it can be hard to knead with it being an enriched dough

3 - Mix until it has a smooth elasticated texture

4 - Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with cling film and prove for about an hour, or until it has doubled in size

5 - Knock the air out by kneading and divide into two dough balls

6 - Take one of the pieces of dough and flatten out into a rectangular shape and sprinkle on the dried fruit

7 - Knead until the fruit is evenly distributed throughout the dough

8 - Cut the piece into 4 pieces, shape into a ball and flatten with the palm of your hand and place on a lined baking tray

9 - Do the same with the other piece of dough but knead in the chocolate drops

10 - Cover and leave to prove for about an hour or until doubled in size

11 - Pre heat the oven to 200C

12 - Mix the flour and water together to make a paste for the cross

13 - Place the flour paste into a piping bag and using a fine end pipe on the lines for the cross

14 - Place in the pre heated oven and bake for 10 - 15 minutes or until golden

15 - For the glaze mix a tea spoon of the lemon curd with a little water and brush over the buns as soon as the come out of the oven, place on a cooling rack to cool

These are delicious served when still a little warm from baking, toasted or with just a little butter!

Keep an eye out for more Easter recipes this week!

Enjoy x

 
I am sharing my recipe with Casa Costello's Bake of the Week pop over and take a look at Helen's delicious Raspberry, Almond and White Chocolate Loaf Cake.
 


Casa Costello

28 comments:

  1. Well I've never made hot cross buns before but was thinking of giving them a try this year. This actually looks like a pretty easy recipe. Will be sharing on Pinterest. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never made hot cross buns and I wanted to make some this year but we're in the middle of redoing our kitchen so it'll have to wait till after Easter! I'll pin this so I can find it at a later date :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic - home are buns are so much nicer but I have to confess I have yet to try!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love hot cross buns, but not sure I could ever be bothered to make them. These do look so yummy though. You are a real wizz in the kitchen x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never made hot cross buns but have always wanted to! I've bookmarked the recipe and will be making them! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love hot cross buns! They're on my to-do-list, and since it will be my first time making them I'll definitely try your recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow these look fab- so clever! I'd never think to make homemade but I bet they taste amazing! X

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never tried making hot cross buns at home, but they do sound lovely! I must get brave enough to try my hand at some breads!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never made hot cross buns before but it seems easy enough so will give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the idea of lemon curd as a glaze. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to try making homemade ones - my last few attempts at bread haven't been very successful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yum - I have never tried making hot cross buns I really feel like I should have now they sound delicious. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never thought of making my own!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Those hot cross buns are by far the best looking ones I have ever come across.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Easter and Hot Cross Buns make the perfect combination

    ReplyDelete
  15. They sound gorgeous, love the idea of adding chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My thighs are not thanking me for all these delicious Easter recipes :-) Ah, what the heck....life's too short not to enjoy something that's truly tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My 9 year old loves these at the minute so I'm going to get him to help me make these x x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohh your buns looks fantastic, I must make some with my kids, they would love it. Thanks, Mich x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Look so yummy! I would love to give it a try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've never known anyone top them with Lemon Curd before, but it looks like it works so well and I bet it really highlights the fruitiness in the buns :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. i actually don't like hot cross buns at all, but these do look tasty :) esp the lemon curd glazing! love lemon curd.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I adore Hot Cross Buns and never thought of making my own before

    ReplyDelete
  23. They look lovely. This is the one recipe to bake this Easter

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mmmmm....nummy! I really can't get enough of hot cross buns and these look sublime :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. They're on my "baking-bucket-list" for some time now! I have to try them some day and will use your recipe, good to have something tested ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am so frustrated with hot cross buns to be honest. I love them but no one else in the family can stand them so I rarely get to eat some and have never tried to make any. Maybe they would love home made? Your recipe looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have GOT to try this recipe but without the candied peel - its the only thing that puts me off shop bought ones. Your look great! Thanks so much for linking up with #Bakeoftheweek

    ReplyDelete
  28. This recipe looks fantastic. I was going to go and buy some Hot Ccross Buns this evening but I might make some using this recipe instead now!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x