Wednesday 15 October 2014

Quick and Easy Pastry Topped Fish Pie with Princes


I was recently set a challenge from Princes to create a quick and easy recipe using their tinned fish products. I was told that the recipe must contain at least 5 ingredients including Princes tinned fish. It must also be possible to make the meal in 15 - 20 minutes.



I am always up for a cooking challenge and got my thinking cap on.

One of our favourite meals has to be a fish pie. However fresh fish is so expensive and to make a fish pie for the five of us I need to buy a lot of fish. That is where my inspiration for this meal came from. I wanted to recreate a quicker and more budget friendly fish pie.

This is what I did...


Quick and Easy Pastry Topped Fish Pie

Ingredients

1 x 160g tin of Princes skinless and boneless Atlantic salmon with lemon and black pepper
1 x 213g tin of Princes wild red salmon
2 x 160g tins of Princes tuna chunks in brine
200g cooked and peeled king prawns
1 onion, chopped
200g tinned sweetcorn
750mls white sauce
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
375g packet of ready rolled puff pastry (unroll 10 minutes before using)
1 egg

Method

1 - Cut out discs of puff pastry the size of your serving bowl and place on a baking tray covered in baking paper. Brush the pastry discs with egg wash and place in the centre of a pre heated oven (200C) and bake for 10 - 15 minutes.

2 - While the pastry lids are baking gently fry the chopped onions in 1tsp of vegetable oil for 5 minutes.

3 - While the onions are cooking mix the fish and prawns in a bowl.

4 - Add the fish and prawns to the pan with the onions and cook for 5 minutes.

5 - Pour over the white sauce (for speed I used granules, however if you have more time you can make your own)

6 - Stir in the chopped parsley and sweetcorn. Heat for 5 minutes.

7 - Remove the pastry lids once the are golden.

8 - Spoon the fish in sauce into the serving bowls and top with a pastry lid.



This fish pie can be served as it is, with extra vegetables or even some new potatoes. Tinned fish is not only quick and easy to use but it is also cheaper than fresh fish.

Do you have a favourite recipe that uses Princes fish?

If you do, Princes are running a competition where you can win various prizes. All you need to do is visit Princes, enter a code that can be found on promotional 4 pack of tuna and share your recipe.

This fish pie is my Family Favourites recipe this week as we all loved this quick and easy fish pie.

Enjoy x

Disclosure: Princes sent me a hamper of their tinned fish and a voucher for ingredients for the purpose of this post. No payment was received. All views and opinions are my own and 100% honest.

I am sharing this recipe with:


Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com
Link up your recipe of the week

“#CookBlogShare

9 comments:

  1. Great use of tinned fish, it looks really tasty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fish pie but must admit I haven't made it with tinned fish before. I love the half moon of pastry - looks so cute and I bet the kids loved it. Thanks for linking to #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your fish pie! They look great! Didnt know that Prince do fish in tin! Look fab!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! Your fish pie recipe looks so delicious and easy enough for me to do too! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I'm certain my kiddos would love this. Pinning!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea to use tinned fish, as you say fresh fish can get expensive to use for a growing family. I never put pastry on the top of my fish pie - must give that a go too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Forgot to add #CookBlogShare !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet my lot,would love this too, sounds great! #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love a fish pie recipe and love seeing all sorts of variations on this theme :-)
    #TastyTuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy comfort food! Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x