Monday 6 October 2014

Leek, Potato and Bacon Soup

As autumn draws in and the weather starts to get cooler soups are a perfect dish for either lunch or an evening meal. I love the simplicity of soups and how easy they are to make. They are also so much better for you than the tinned versions which contain more ingredients than really necessary.

Today's soup is a favourite of the hubby's. This soup is also great for freezing, and as all of the ingredients are already cooked you can simply remove from the freezer and heat in a pan, great for the times when you are in a hurry! This soup came about after the hubby asked me to add some bacon into my traditional leek and potato soup. My hubby is a true carnivore and is not keen on meals that are only vegetables. I will admit that I am pleased that the hubby asked me to add the bacon as it completely transformed this soup!

This is what I do...


Leek, Potato and Bacon Soup

Ingredients



1 large/2 medium leeks, sliced
3 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 celery sticks
6 rashers smoked bacon, chopped
1.5ltr vegetable stock
Black pepper
Double cream to serve

Method

1 - Place the leeks and potatoes into a pan of boiling stock and simmer for 45 minutes

2 - While the vegetables are cooking gently fry the bacon

3 - Once the vegetables have simmered for 45 minutes remove from the heat and allow to cool for 15 minutes before blending

4 - Once all of the soup has been blended, return 3 ladles of soup back to the blender and add 3/4 of the crispy bacon and blend, pour back into the remaining soup and mix well

5 - Season with black pepper to taste


To serve drizzle over a little double cream and some of the remaining pieces of crispy bacon. This soup is delicious on it's own or accompanied with some freshly made bread. This is a perfect soup for lunch on a cold autumn or winter day. I will be putting some in a flask for the hubby to take to work!


Even the twins love this tasty soup!



Enjoy x

I am sharing my soup recipe with Casa Costello and Romanian Mum Blog - Foodie Friday and Honest Mum - Tasty Tuesdays

Casa Costello

Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com

9 comments:

  1. I had a big bag of potatoes and now I know what I should do with it! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I could do with some of this now. Love soups as the colder weather sets in xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for linking up your recipe with #FoodieFriday lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the sound of this, it sounds a real winter warmer, and I love the addition of bacon! #TastyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm looks lovely! I love leek and potato soup anyway, but I agree that the bacon definitely gives it a little something extra! #tastytuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks gorgeous and warming, just the right recipe for this cold weather! :) #TastyTuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love soup and could just do with a bucket full of this at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks lovely-perfect Autumnal food! Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, I love the idea of adding bacon to a leek and potato soup - yum!
    #TastyTuesdays

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x