Thursday 23 October 2014

Gousto Review

In the past I have seen Gousto recipe boxes and have always wondered what they were like. But I was unsure whether would there be enough food for all of us and would we like the recipes? Because of these questions I have not ordered in the past.

So when I was asked if I would like to review a Gousto box and their services I jumped at the chance. In this review I will be giving you my opinion on how Gousto will feed your family, the quality of the meals and if they were enjoyed.

Gousto's website is nice and easy to navigate. Each week Gousto change the selection of meals that are available. You simply go online and select which meals you would like to be in your weekly box. They supply boxes to feed 2 people and 4 people.

When the box arrived I couldn't wait to see what we had been sent. The box was divided into two sections. One section for vegetables and dry ingredients while the second side contained a wool cool bag containing meats and chilled ingredients.




The box that we received contained three meals. All of the ingredients were weighed out and clearly labelled. 

We received:
  • Chicken and Parsnip Risotto
  • Harissa Beef Patties
  • Chorizo and Giant Couscous
This is how we got on with each of the meals...

Chicken and Parsnip Risotto

This was the first meal that we tried. We all love risotto so I had a feeling that we would enjoy this meal. In the past I have never thought about using parsnips in a risotto. But after cooking this meal, I will be using them a lot more! They added such a lovely sweetness to the meal and the whole family loved it. The children were even asking for more! The parsnips that came in the box were still covered in mud they were that fresh!

The ingredients for the meal.

The finished Chicken and Parsnip Risotto.

Harissa Beef Patties

The recipe for the Harissa Beef Patties is very similar to beef burgers so I expected these to also be a success. The patties contained harissa which is spicy, as the children were eating the patties I did not add all of the recommended amount as I did not want them to be too spicy for them. One advantage of Gousto is that the ingredients are all separate so you are able to add less spice if you wish. The beef patties were served with roasted sweet potato wedges and red onion. The harissa yogurt was too spicy for the children, however it was perfect for me! If I was to cook this meal again I would probably add a side dish of salad purely to have more of our five a day.

The ingredients for the meal.

The finished Harissa Beef Patties.

Chorizo and Giant Couscous

After living in the Canary Islands for 7 years, I love Spanish cuisine, so I was delighted when I saw this dish. Chorizo is one of my favourite meats to cook with. It has an immense flavour which adds so much to a dish. We all enjoy couscous but have found in the past that it has been too small for the twins to manage eating well. However this recipe used giant couscous, which I have not seen before. The couscous grain is the perfect size and goes well with lentils. The only down point with this meal was that it was too spicy for the twins. I did not use all of the Moroccan spice ras el hanout, next time I would use even less. However the hubby, Joseph and I loved the meal and all had seconds!

The ingredients for the meal.


The finished Chorizo and Giant Couscous.
I have been delighted with all of the meals, my only tip would be to add the spices gradually if you are feeding young children or do not like your food too spicy. But this is easily done as the ingredients are all separate. I do have to admit to being very fussy with the quality of meat that I buy. The meat that is supplied by Gousto is from British farms that uphold the highest standard of animal welfare. All of the meat was of the highest quality and was lovely and lean. Having all of the ingredients weighed out for you certainly saves a lot of time when preparing a meal. We received a box for 4 people and we found that it was the perfect amount to feed the 5 of us. The Gousto boxes are also ideal to take on holiday in the UK. It is such an easy way to pack the ingredients that you need to create delicious meals as you would at home.

I would thoroughly recommend using Gousto and will definitely be ordering from them in the future. For more information visit gousto.co.uk.

Disclosure: I was sent a Gousto box for the purpose of this review. No payment was made. All views and opinions are my own and 100% honest.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x