Wednesday 7 May 2014

Cheap Budget Meal - No Junk Chilli Enchiladas

As my regular readers will know, I took up Organix challenge of no junk for a week.

This challenge did make me check the ingredients a lot more foods, but as I already cook our meals from scratch I didn't really notice a difference in how I cook.

One meal that I have been planning to cook and never get round to is chilli con carne.

So this week I am making a basic chilli mix but instead of having it with rice, I am making enchiladas.

Enchiladas are tortilla wraps filled with chilli con carne, sprinkled with cheese and placed under the grill.

Making your chilli sauce is much easier than you may think. I used to use a packet mix until I decided to make my own one time and have never looked back. This saves me money as the spices and herbs that I use are part of my store cupboard essentials. But what is even better is that I know exactly what is going in and there is no added salt!

I make my own tortillas using just flour, a little salt and water. These are also very easy to make! I was amazed by how many ingredients are used to make shop bought tortilla wraps when they can be made so easy with just flour, salt and water!

So many ingredients listed!
This is my Cheap Budget Meal recipe this week...

No Junk Chilli Enchiladas

Ingredients

Chilli

400g lean minced beef (£2.50)
2 sml or 1 med red onion, chopped (19p)
1/2 red chilli, chopped (10p)
1 garlic clove, crushed (25p - full garlic)
1 carrot, grated (8p)
500g tomato passata (43p)
205g tin of kidney beans in chilli sauce (40p)
1/2tsp mild chilli powder
1/4tsp ground cumin
1/2tsp cinnamon
1/2tsp mixed spices
Mature cheddar cheese, grated (£1)

Wraps

100g strong wholemeal flour
150g plain white flour
3g salt
150mls water

Method

1 - Place the minced beef, onion, chilli, crushed garlic and carrot in a large pan and put on a medium heat. I have place all of these ingredients together so that the flavours are combined with the meat as it cooks.


2 - Once the meat has browned off add the kidney beans in chilli sauce and the tomato passata

3 - Mix until all of the ingredients and thoroughly combined

4 - Add the mixed herbs, chilli powder, cumin and cinnamon

5 - Bring to the oil then simmer for about 20 minutes or until the meat is thoroughly cooked

6 - To make the wraps place the flour, salt and water in a bowl and mix together with your hand

7 - Bring the dough together and knead for 5 minutes then leave for 10 minutes to rest


8 - I made 6 tortillas with this recipe, cut of pieces on dough and roll out into a thin circular shape

9 - Heat a non stick frying pan and then place the tortilla in the heat and bake for a few minutes on each side

10 - Take the cooked tortillas and place some of the chilli sauce along the centre and wrap, lay the wrap side down in either individual over proof dishes or all together in a large dish

11 - Once all of the tortillas have been filled and wrapped spoon over any remaining sauce and sprinkle with cheese

12 - Place under the rill to melt the cheese and serve

Enchiladas can be served with either a side dish of rice, nachos and salsa or as we had them, with a green salad.

This chilli is not too spicy so it perfect for a family meal and contains no junk, unknown foods!

I made this meal for £4.95, that is just 99p per serving!

Enjoy x




I am sharing this #NoJunk recipe with Holly at Recipes from a Normal Mum's Organix Blog Hop 

organix pls use

I am also sharing this recipe with Cold Tea and Smelly Nappies Thrifty Thursday

2 comments:

  1. I hadn't even thought about making my own tortillas, I didn't realise that they were so easy to make. We have a lot of chilli in our house because it's so easy to make but I must admit I'm getting a bit bored of it. I'm going to try this instead next time, much more interesting :-) Thanks for joining in with #ThriftyThursday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice recipe. I like your point about controlling the amount of salt by making your own spice mix. So true. #ThriftyThursday

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x