Wednesday 14 May 2014

Cheap Budget Meal - Roasted Butternut Squash Spaghetti

This weeks Cheap Budget Meal is a vegetarian recipe.

I like to incorporate as many vegetables into our meals as possible. They are a great way to bulk out meals which are based on expensive meat. I am also trying to cook at least one meat free meal a week. So this week I am sharing one of those recipes with you.

This recipe is based around butternut squash. Butternut squash is a versatile vegetable that has a lovely sweet, nutty flavour. I always find that 1 butternut squash goes a long way. In this recipe I have roasted the butternut squash.

This meal is full of goodness from the vegetables and low in price. The sweetness that the butternut squash brings to the meal will be loved by all, especially the children.

It is such an easy meal to make and once the squash has been cooked it is a quick meal to prepare. I even had a little helper when I cooked it. Normally Joseph moans that he doesn't like butternut squash and doesn't eat it. When we made this meal together he loved it. I find that if he has helped me cook or bake anything he is much more eager to try new foods.

Here is this weeks cheap budget meal recipe...

Roasted Butternut Squash Spaghetti

Ingredients

1 butternut squash (99p)
1 red pepper, chopped (60p)
1 red onion, sliced (17p)
190g jar red pesto (£1.30)
250g spaghetti (20p per 500g pack)
Oregano
Olive oil

Method

Pre heat the oven to 180C

1 - Halve the butternut squash, drizzle olive oil over and sprinkle with oregano


2 - Place in the pre heated oven and roast for about 1 and a half hours or until the inside is soft

3 - Remove from the oven and leave to cool for about 20 minutes

4 - Cook the spaghetti as per instructions on the packet

5 - Fry the onions and peppers in a little olive oil over a medium heat


6 - Take the butternut squash and using a spoon remove the seeds and scoop out all of the soft insides


7 - Add the butternut squash to the onions and peppers and mix, keep on a low heat for 10 minutes


8 - Drain the cooked spaghetti and return it to the pan

9 - Add as much or as little of the red pesto as you like, depending on taste, we love red pesto and we added the whole jar

10 - Place the butternut squash, red onion and red pepper mixture to the spaghetti and combine them all together then serve

The butternut squash breaks down in the pasta and leaves a delicious sweet flavour. Combined with the sweetness of the red onions and red peppers this really is a yummy pasta treat! It is hard to believe that a meal so sweet can be so good for you, but it is!

I made this meal for only £3.26 and I still have spaghetti left for another meal. That is a great, budgeting 65p per portion! Not only is it cheap to make but is full of vegetable goodness!

Enjoy x



22 comments:

  1. This looks so good. I love butternut squash and pasta dishes, but I've never cooked anything like this before. Definitely going to give it a try. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never really known what to do with butternut squash so will have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love butternut squash, off to put this on the must cook list

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to see a recipe with a butternut squash that you can just cut in half and stick in the oven. I love butternut squash but hate preparing it so this suits me down to the ground :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love butternut squash - you don't realise how versatile it is! What a tasty sounding recipe! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. great idea although i have not tried butternut yet , something puts me of but i aint got a clue why though

    ReplyDelete
  7. hm im not a big fan of butternut squash but i think it can be a good meal for kids

    ReplyDelete
  8. We don't cook with butternut squash but it looks tasty xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks great. We always have at least one meat free meal a week. Will have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea! The butternut squash roasts down almost into a sauce. We have at least one veggie meal a week and I would love to try this one. Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love roasted butternut squash - it tastes delicious.

    Its lovely in a soup with chilli!

    ReplyDelete
  12. yum! butternut squash is one of my faves, could eat it every day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmmm....I adore butternut squash and love roasting it off for the best flavour. Would definitely want to cook and eat this dish.
    Love Vicky
    Around and Upside Down

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fabulous recipe! I love butternut squash too, I bet this is delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks delicious. Fantastic that you can make it on a cheap budget. Healthy and cheap! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'll have to try this. We don't have butternut squash as a rule but I'm trying to break out of the cooking rut I'm in.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks delicious - I adore butternut squash!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Butternut squash but am the only one in our family. Will have to treat myself to this sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  19. looks lovely! we have a butternut squash in our veg box! x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Haven't really had a butternut squash before (sheltered existence)!! This looks easy and yummy x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yet another delicious looking meal. Thanks for linking up with #ThriftyThursday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ooh I love butternut squash so this recipe suits me to the ground. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x