Wednesday 21 May 2014

Cheap Budget Meal - Creamy Mushroom Pasta

As it is National Vegetarian Week I decided to make a vegetarian Cheap Budget Meal.

One of our much loved vegetables have to be mushrooms. They are so tasty and so versatile. They can easily be added to any dish to add extra flavour.

Not only is this an incredibly tasty meal but it is also so quick and easy to make. If I am ever in a hurry or need a quick meal this has to be one of our favourites!

Depending on what is in the weekly food budget depends on what mushrooms I use for this dish. I have put closed cup mushrooms on the ingredients list however chestnut mushrooms are a delicious alternative as are forestiere mushroom!

Here is this weeks Cheap Budget Meal recipe...


Creamy Mushroom Pasta

Ingredients

250g mushrooms, sliced (75p)
1 onion, sliced (16p)
1 red pepper, chopped (60p)
2 garlic cloves, crushed (25p per whole garlic)
300mls creme fraiche (£1.10)
Pasta (20p per 500g bag)
1tspn fresh chopped parsley or 1/2tspn dried parsley
1tbsp wholegrain mustard

Method

1 - Cook the pasta as per instructions

2 - Heat a little olive oil in a pan and gently fry the onions, mushrooms, peppers and garlic until soft

3 - Stir in the parsley and wholegrain mustard

4 - Mix in the creme fraiche and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally

Serve the creamy mushroom sauce on a bed of pasta! It is that quick and easy, perfect for when you need a quick, easy and healthy meal that the whole family will love!

I made this meal for £3.06, that is a budgeting 61p per serving! Plus there is pasta remaining for a second meal and plenty of garlic!

Enjoy x


 

24 comments:

  1. This looks lovely, I'd definitely eat it but the other half doesn't like mushrooms! :-( Maybe I can try it for me and the kiddies one night when he's away ;-) Thank you for linking up to #ThriftyThursday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why am I reading recipes, whilst hungry?! Sounds yummy, and cheap:) #thirftythursday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh looks gorgeous. Think we've got some mushrooms in the fridge still to eat. Thanks for the idea! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum - I do love a creamy mushroom sauce! I make one using the herb philly cheese - delish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds right up my street, will have to give it a go! We all love mushrooms too

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious - I quite fancy it right now actually x x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks yummy hun. I love mushrooms, so would love this x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds very tasty! I think it's one for my weekly meal plan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. yummy! I make a similar dish - I love mushrooms!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks nice and easy! And cheap too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh haven't bought mushrooms in ages, looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Me too Vicky!

    Looks and sounds so yummy - my oldest hates mushrooms but he will be leaving for uni soon so can see this being cooked a lot more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now this is my kind of meal! I love pasta and veggies. Hubby to be doesn't see the point of meals without meat, but while I'm not veggie, I adore my vegetables - especially mushrooms - so tasty!
    Love Vicky
    Around and Upside Down

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your hugest recipes they really are amazing. This looks so delicious and creamy and yet it is such a cheap option and easy to prepare too. Happy National Vegetarian Week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We love mushroom pasta, especially the creamy varieties. This looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh yum - I am loving budget meals as well I always spend way to much on shopping need to get budgeting better :) X

    ReplyDelete
  17. We cooked pasta last night - one minute mine love it the next they don't.....so frustrating

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks delicious....a bit like Mushroom Strogonoff with pasta. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. we have this type of meal quite often in our house, love it! x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, this is really a bargain dish!
    Perfect for a students on a budget :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I so need recipes and menus like this as I am finding the cost of wholesome healthy food just astronomical. Thanks for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oooops don't know where my comment went xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x