Thursday 15 May 2014

Paul Hollywood's Apple Pie (with a twist!)

As you will probably know we recently saw Paul Hollywood's Get Your Bake On Live tour in York.
During the show Paul demonstrated how to bake 4 delicious treats
  • Apple pie
  • Black Forest Gateaux
  • Multiseed loaf
  • Orange and almond couronne
Over the next few weeks I am challenging myself to bake all four. I will be adding my own twists on a couple but will probably follow the recipe for the others. But I will be letting you know how I got on with them all.

He also demonstrated the technique of making a plait loaf which I am eager to try!

This week I have made the Apple pie, with a twist! I have added dried mixed fruit, cinnamon and nutmeg.

This is how I got on...

Paul Hollywood's Apple Pie (with a twist)

Ingredients

Pastry

275g plain flour
140g butter, cubed
2tbsp icing sugar
3tbsp water
1 egg for brushing
 
Filling

3 large cooking apples, peeled and sliced
125g dried mixed fruit with candied peel (added ingredient)
1tsp cinnamon (added ingredient)
1/2tsp nutmeg (added ingredient)
4tbsp caster sugar
4tbsp water

Method

1 - Place the flour in a large bowl, add the cubed butter and icing sugar

2 - Rub the butter into the flour until you have a breadcrumb consistency

3 - Gradually add the water until you have a dough like ball

4 - Wrap the pastry in cling film and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes

5 - To make the filling place the sliced apples in a pan with the water, caster sugar, dried mixed fruit, cinnamon and nutmeg

6 - Place on a medium heat and cook until the sugar has dissolved and the apples are just starting to break down

7 - Remove from the heat and allow to cool

8 - Pre heat the oven to 200C

9 - Remove the pastry from the fridge and split into two pieces

10 - Roll one piece out and use to line a pie plate, trim the edges

11 - Spoon the apple filling onto the centre of the pie plate and spread out evenly

12 - Place to one side and roll the remaining piece of pastry dough

13 - Take the egg wash and brush it onto the edges of the pie

14 - Lay the top pastry over the fruit and seal around the edges

15 - Cut three slits on the top to let any steam escape, brush over some more egg wash, sprinkle over some caster sugar, place in the preheated oven and bake for about 30 minutes


16 - Once the pastry is a golden brown remove from the oven and leave for about 10 minutes to rest.

This apple pie was delicious with the added extras. It goes perfectly with custard, cream or ice cream. The pastry is a rich buttery pastry. Next time I would probably increase the pastry quantity to 300g as I found that it was a little too thin. But overall this is a lovely pie which is easy to make!

 
The original recipe was found in the Paul Hollywood Get Your Bake On live tour programme.

I am sharing this recipe with Javelin Warriors Cookin w/Luv Made With Love Mondays
 
Made with Love Mondays, hosted by Javelin Warrior

1 comment:

  1. Homemade apple pie is one of my favorite desserts - especially with homemade crust! This looks amazing and such a crispy top... I'll take a slice, please!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x