Thursday 29 May 2014

Strawberry and Elderflower Swiss Roll

One cake that I have been wanting to make for a while now is a Swiss roll.

When I noticed that I had a punnet of strawberries to use it gave me the perfect opportunity to make one. I have followed Rosemary Shrager's recipe for the sponge but have added my own filling. I used the recipe that is in Bakes, Cakes and Puddings.

The sponge is more of a time consuming cake to make so do allow yourself a good 15 minutes to prepare the mixture.

This is what I did...

Strawberry and Elderflower Swiss Roll

Ingredients

Cake

3 eggs, at room temperature
100g caster sugar
100g self raising flour
1tbsp milk

Filling

300g strawberries
100mls double cream
100g full fat cream cheese
3tbsp icing sugar
2tbsp elderflower cordial

Method

Pre heat the oven to 190C

1 - Place the caster sugar and eggs in a large glass bowl.

2 - Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water and begin to whisk.


3 - Whisk the eggs and caster sugar until it becomes thick and leaves a trail when you lift the whisk, be warned this will take a good 10 minutes of whisking!


4 - Remove the bowl from the heat and continue to whisk the mixture for a further 2 minutes.

5 - Sift in one third of the self raising flour and gently fold in.

6 - Repeat until all of the flour has been added.

7 - Mix in the milk and gently mix until you have a smooth mixture.

8 - Pour the mixture into a lined Swiss roll tin or deep baking tray and place in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for 12 minutes.

9 - While the cake is baking prepare the surface for the cake to cool by placing a clean, damp tea towel on the side, put some baking paper on top and sprinkle with caster sugar.

10 - Remove the cake from the tin and place on top of the baking paper, remove the baking paper from the base of the cooked cake, place a fresh piece over it and put the warm baking tin over the top. This will ensure that the sponge does not dry out. Leave to cool completely.


11 - When the cake has cooled prepare the filling by whisking the cream, cream cheese and icing sugar together.

12 - Mix in the elderflower cordial.

13 - Using a pallet knife spread a layer of the cream mixture on the sponge.


14 - Lay the sliced strawberries over the cream, leaving an edge free of strawberries for the joining seal.


15 - Roll the sponge toward the side with the strawberry free edge, once rolled sprinkle with icing sugar.

This is delicious summer Swiss roll, perfect for a warm summers treat!

Enjoy x

I am sharing this recipe with the lovely Helen at Casa Costello - Bake of the Week

Casa Costello

4 comments:

  1. Ooh this looks so lovely - So summery. Thanks again for linking up with #Bakeoftheweek

    ReplyDelete
  2. My strawberries are just ripening and I have elderflower cordial - I might just make this then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so tasty! I have tried my hand at a lot of different recipes but I have never tried to make swiss roll. Not even sure why! You have inspired me to give it a go with this one. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks gorgeous. I bet it tastes it too - elderflower is such a fresh taste, it sounds perfect for a May day :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x