Friday 2 May 2014

Kedgeree Style Couscous

Don't you just hate it when you have a meal planned but when you go to prepare it you realise that the key ingredient is missing!

That's what happened here yesterday.

I went to make a kedgeree, went to the cupboard only to find that I had no rice!

Rice is the main ingredient!

However I did have couscous and came up with this delicious meal that I just had to share!

It also goes hand in hand with the No Junk challenge that I am taking part in. All of the ingredients are known and found in a household kitchen.

This is what I came up with...

Kedgeree Style Couscous

Ingredients

300g wholewheat couscous
1tsp turmeric
450mls boiling water
1 onion
1tsp medium curry powder
1/2tsp ground cumin
50g korma paste
1 tin of tuna
3 medium chestnut mushrooms
200mls double cream
2tbs rapeseed oil
Poached egg to serve

Method

1 - Place the couscous in a large bowl, mix the turmeric in with the boiling water and pour over the couscous, cover and leave on one side

2 - Heat the rapeseed oil in a large frying pan and add the onions, curry powder

3 - Once the onions have started to soften add the mushrooms, tuna, curry powder, ground cumin and korma paste and cook for 5 minutes on a medium heat

4 - Stir in the double cream and heat for a couple of minutes

5 - Turn the heat down and add the softened couscous and stir thoroughly

Serve with a poached egg on the top.

This is a delicious change to the traditional rice Kedgeree! It is such a quick, easy, family friendly meal which contains no junk!

Enjoy x

 

19 comments:

  1. Excellent variation - I was considering making the rice version this weekend! #BlogClub

    ReplyDelete
  2. We never have couscous, I don't know why. I'm going to try this recipe because I think it's about time we tried something new :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting from #LAB B for the first time. Love the sound of this accidental recipe. Just my kind of thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, I love a healthy fast food option, this is really well balanced!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard of Kedgeree, but it looks lovely, may have to try it! #BlogClub

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love kedgeree and haven't had it in years. Thanks for the reminder

    ReplyDelete
  7. great idea, i love veggie kedgerree - looks good with couscous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, I bet that is good! We love couscous and have it more often than rice, pasta or potatoes! Will have to give this a go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you know, I know the word Kedgeree but I didn't know what it is until now! And now I do I'm going try it - thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh! Not sure where my comment went - I was saying that I didn't know what kedgeree was until now but I'm going to give it a try this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love kedgeree and couscous so this would go down well with me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yum, anything with an egg on top wins with me

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never tried making kedgeree before but it sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never tried couscous....keep meaning too..this looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds and looks delicious! Sometimes I find the best meals come when I have to improvise!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love cous cous and struggle to find things to do with it - thanks for sharing x x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never been a fan of couscous, but think i'll have to try this thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I always find out I'm missing an ingredient at the last minute, nothing worse ha ha but the meal you made looks really nice.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x