Tuesday 20 May 2014

Summer Berry Gateaux

This cake was going to be Paul Hollywood's Black Forest Gateaux. However after making the mixture and putting it in the oven I realised that I hadn't added any baking powder!

The first cake didn't rise as much as I needed it to. This became a tear and share cake that was nibbled at and I had to make a second cake! Next time I will also be using a smaller tin than recommended in the recipe as even with the baking powder I don't feel that it would have risen sufficiently!

For the second cake I made my own sponge, my way, as I knew I could make it quicker than the Paul Hollywood recipe.

As the hubby doesn't like cherries I substituted them for lovely summery strawberries.

This is what I did...

Summer Berry Gateaux

Ingredients

200g baking spread/butter
200g caster sugar
4 eggs, at room temperature
150g self raising flour
50g cocoa powder
1tspn baking powder
700mls double cream
400g strawberries, quartered
Blackberries to decorate the top
100g chocolate, grated

Method

Pre heat the oven to 180C

1 - Mix together the baking spread/butter and caster sugar until light and creamy

2 - Add the eggs, one at a time, adding a little flour to prevent curdling

3 - Sift in the remaining flour, cocoa powder and baking powder and mix until all of the ingredients are evenly combined

4 - Line a cake tin with baking paper and add the cake mixture

5 - Place in the centre of the pre heated oven for about 45 minutes or until a knife come out clean when placed through the centre

6 - When thoroughly baked remove from the tin and leave to cool completely on a cooling rack

7 - Whip the cream until thick

8 - Cut the cake in half and cover the bottom half with a layer of the freshly whipped cream

9 - Top the cream with the strawberries, make this a good layer of strawberries!

10 - Place the top half of the cake on top of the strawberry layer

11 - Cover the cake with cream using a pallet knife, keeping a little cream on one side to decorate the top

12 - Sprinkle over the grated chocolate

13 - Pipe on the remaining cream to decorate and finish with the blackberries

 
I made this gateaux as a birthday cake and it was a huge success with our guests. The strawberries and cream in the centre add a creamy sweetness to the chocolate cake and was a perfect summer cake!
 
Enjoy x
 


I am sharing my recipe with

A Mummy Too's Recipe of the Week
Casa Costello's Bake of the Week
Cookin W/Luv - Made With Love Mondays

Link up your recipe of the week
 
Casa Costello
 
Made with Love Mondays, hosted by Javelin Warrior

13 comments:

  1. That looks great! I'm always frustrated by the sheer amount of different sized cake tins needed for recipes - I simply don't have enough space for a complete range. I'm also one for changing recipes to suit what I have at home/tastes we prefer - and sometimes wonder if I have a problem with authority that manifests itself in an inability to follow a recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that looks amazing! I am definitely going to have to try this. Yum, yum, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say I think I'd swithch back and put the cherries on top . I've never made a gateaux before but your recipe seems straight forward so this gives me the excuse to give it a go :) thanks for sharing #recipeoftheweek

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my word, this looks and sounds amazing. Unfortunately I can not cook cakes. Anything else I'm fine just not cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the need to use expletives!! This looks flippin' awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So not fair for a pregnant woman to see this before bed! It looks amazing! I always change recipes too I much prefer to adapt them to suit me x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love summer berries and haven't had gateaux for ages. Looks lovely

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks delicious. Its something I would love to make however no one else in my house would eat it and that would be disastrous for my diet

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an amazing mix of the chocolate and summer fruits, I'm not surprised it was such a success!
    #Recipeoftheweek

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the combination of strawberries with cream and strawberries with chocolate, so putting all three together would be amazing. Perfect for summer and easy enough to make for family or guests...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow! The cross section photo of this gateau is wonderful. Thanks again for linking up with #Bakeoftheweek x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x